scrounge gone bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here I think tree services haul wood to the curb in hopes that people will haul it away. There are a few situations in more urban spots where there is no choice but to stack on the curb, but if there is a yard and the wood ends up on the curb, every time I have asked the guys say they put it there either for the township or trash haulers to take away, or in hopes that when they return to haul it, it is already gone. I can understand why the guys in the other 6 trucks thought the wood was up for grabs.

basswidow said:
I thought it looked like oak - but it's hard maple. Nothing to die for, but decent wood.

Scrounging is very competitive here in NNJ....

If it's "hard maple," in the NE that's either norway or sugar maple- excellent stuff IMHO.
OK, not to die for, but worth sticking your neck out for.
With luck, it's not much damaged by fungi- you'll spot those regions quickly. Get her done.
Congrats, and enjoy burning it next winter.

You asked if the wood was free they said yes, thats all you can do.

I agree, you went the extra mile and asked permission, not guilty.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I mean no disrespect to any member here, nor any 'guy holding the saw'. But seriously! What are you thinking? The land owner ownes the trees. Every one of you says that tree removal people charge extra to get rid of the wood. So why would you think 'the guy with the saw' would have signed a contract turning over control of the wood to him?? There are places in Upstate NY where you'd get shot at,near,or around for taking wood without asking the woods owner . .a/k/a stealing :mad:

Gimme a break! What do you expect the guy to do? Should he have said, "Oh I don't believe you, I need to hear it from the owner of the house." If I were to have a tree service come and cut something down the first thing I would work out with them as a condition of the contract for the job would be what happens with the wood. Sure, some homeowners probably don't think in those terms but any decent tree service should be up front and say, "Would you like to keep the wood? If not do you want it stacked at the curb so that someone will pick it up, or would you like us to haul it away?" Why would Basswidow have assumed otherwise? He has zero fault in this-he asked and got bad information.

basswidow said:
Scrounging is very competitive here in NNJ....

Ain't that the truth-you have me to compete with! :lol:

You did the right thing all around . . . asking permission from someone who you thought could give you permission . . . and then offering to unload the wood and even giving your name and phone number to the actual owners in case they want the wood back. Sleep well at night . . . an honest mistake.

MrFood said:
Just like a kid who doesn't want their toy until another kid starts playing with it.

The home owner probably had no interest in the wood, but when she realized people wanted it, she probably offered it up to neighbors and friends....Its human nature.
+1. Happened to me before. A guy offered me a big Red Oak down in his yard. Latter I get over there to cut it up, his neighbor hears the saw, walks over & all of a sudden the deal is I get the largest part of the trunk (~36-40") & neighbor gets the limbs & smaller trunk pieces that are easier for him to handle. Turns out the wood was already offered to him, but he never did anything about it 'till I showed up with a saw. People change their minds, miss-communicate... all the time. I try not to get upset about the small stuff. Makes life more enjoyable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.