The best way to shut an over-fire situation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Oslo got hotter than I thought it should once.
I shut down the control lever but it seemed to race on.
I went outside and stuck a rag in the Outside Air Supply inlet and things settled right down.
I consider this one of the many advantages of using an OAS (aka OAK).

Reactions: Lake Girl
Plastic zip lock baggies filled with sand. Just toss them in to slow things down. KD
Does anyone know what sand does to cool the fire? Is it the moisture in the sand producing steam? If it is smothering the flame, I would suspect placement is crucial. What about a bag full of fire extinguisher soda? That would seem to be a better choice than sand, but I am saying that out of ignorance not knowing what the sand will do to cook the fire.

Does anyone know what sand does to cool the fire? Is it the moisture in the sand producing steam? If it is smothering the flame, I would suspect placement is crucial. What about a bag full of fire extinguisher soda? That would seem to be a better choice than sand, but I am saying that out of ignorance not knowing what the sand will do to cook the fire.
Yes it smothers the flame a bag of extinguisher soda would be a great solution but sand should work fine to. But honestly in almost all cases simply opening the door will get temperatures under control with very little risk

Status
Not open for further replies.