The big oak finally comes down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Here's a few pics of the monster white oak in the back yard I had taken down today. 1/2 a round cut to 14" filled a large wheel barrel. I estimate this tree is may have 3 cords in it. For those of you who remember.. it was hit by lightening about 3 years ago.

Tree guy showed up with a teeny Stihl saw you see him limbing with, then took out a huge stihl to do the trunk. I think that larger saw had Honda vTech 4 banger in it!

Now the work to get it all split and stacked. It's gonna be a good end to the summer!

Attachments

• P1010192.JPG
    P1010192.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 859
  • P1010195.JPG
    P1010195.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 887
  • P1010196.JPG
    P1010196.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 887
  • P1010197.JPG
    P1010197.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 876
I like it when the come "pre-seasoned"

HOLY chit. You've got some work ahead. How long is your wife giving you to get that cleaned up

Gunner said:
I like it when the come "pre-seasoned"

Unfortunately it's gonna take a year or more to season this stuff. It's pretty wet inside still, and the upper stuff has about an inch or more of punk. I'll stack it all, cover the punky stuff, and be a happy camper next year!

Hey Kevin!! My Wife didn't specify a time to get it cleaned up. All I know is that I'm gonna be in good shape once that's all split. The 8 lb maul is starting to feel no heavier than the 6 lb.

On the 6lb vs 8lb front... I find I get hotter faster swinging the 8, and all in all I'm not sure it's any more effective. The big advantage is that it has a maul handle vs an ax handle so the little rubber collars fit.

Wanna trade for some nice un-split elm????? ;-)

MrGriz said:
Wanna trade for some nice un-split elm????? ;-)

Uhhhh ... Right. I'll give you a call... Just sit by the phone and wait.

Actually this oak splits nice. The knots are a groan, but there's not too many of them The lightening that hit the tree seems to have caused a lot of internal damage in the form of big vertical cracks... Translated... it's not only free, it's pre-split in a lot of places. I have about 1/2 a cord split and stacked so far, about another half a cord cut into rounds. Then comes the saw work out. My little husky 136 is gonna be working overtime on that beast.

Warren said:
MrGriz said:
My little husky 136 is gonna be working overtime on that beast.

It'll get'er done. The little 142 made Purina Stove Chow out of this 34 inch 78 foot oak.

Attachments

• big oak.JPG
    big oak.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 767
  • lil husky.JPG
    lil husky.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 748
Keep at it; it'll just take a little longer with that saw but it will get the job done.

BTW...I still haven't heard the phone ring.

Warren said:
Here's a few pics of the monster white oak in the back yard I had taken down today. 1/2 a round cut to 14" filled a large wheel barrel. I estimate this tree is may have 3 cords in it. For those of you who remember.. it was hit by lightening about 3 years ago.

Tree guy showed up with a teeny Stihl saw you see him limbing with, then took out a huge stihl to do the trunk. I think that larger saw had Honda vTech 4 banger in it!

Now the work to get it all split and stacked. It's gonna be a good end to the summer!
I must say, that picture of you standing on the log with your maul must make you feel a bit humbled, that huge tree, that 1 maul, oh boy, lots of work ahead, but great wood too!

jpl1nh said:
Warren said:

I must say, that picture of you standing on the log with your maul must make you feel a bit humbled, that huge tree, that 1 maul, oh boy, lots of work ahead, but great wood too!

It's not that bad. I cut it into sections about 14" The lower sections are pre-split a few times thanks to the lightening that killed the tree. 1 or two wacks with the maul and it's split. 1/2 a round fills my wheel barrel! It's a lot of wood. It sure smells nice too. I love the smell of fresh split white oak. I must say though... I getting addicted to going out there to split and stack. Rain tonight and I was seriously bummed.

I must say though... I getting addicted to going out there to split and stack. Rain tonight and I was seriously bummed.

It is an addiction for which there is no cure. "Hi, my name is Jags, and I am a wood splitting addict"
Its been raining here for what seems like 2 weeks and I have a pile of hard maple (40" stuff) to get at, and its killing me.

I feel your pain (in more ways than one).

Warren said:
jpl1nh said:
Warren said:

It's not that bad. I cut it into sections about 14" The lower sections are pre-split a few times thanks to the lightening that killed the tree. 1 or two wacks with the maul and it's split. 1/2 a round fills my wheel barrel! It's a lot of wood. It sure smells nice too. I love the smell of fresh split white oak. I must say though... I getting addicted to going out there to split and stack. Rain tonight and I was seriously bummed.
LOL We're all SICK!! Wood withdrawal?? "Here, try some pellets it will help ween you off" Yeah right! No known cure for wood addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.