The BIG PICTURE, differences between stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL;lol;lol;lol so true. DVD won.

Everyone's personal experiences is awesome info, keep posting.
Even dvds are becoming a thing of the past

Pellet stoves are for people who want supplemental heating without much of the work of a wood stove. In reality though, you only save the harvesting work. You still have to lug bags inside, though its less work than lugging logs inside. You still have to clean it out, though its also less. I don't like the dependency factor of a pellet stove. You need electricity. And you need repair when it breaks.
Quite honestly though, I wouldn't get a pellet stove. I would get a anthracite coal stove if I wanted to reduce work load. An anthracite coal stove will heat much like a wood stove, but with a work load similar to a pellet stove. They don't stink like a bituminous coal stove, they burn really clean. Clean out of such a stove is more frequent than a wood stove is, but not hard at all.
Unlike a wood stove, you cant dump those ashes in your garden. They need to cool off then throw in the garbage.
Someday when I don't feel like cutting wood any more, one of two things will happen. 1: buy wood and have it delivered-still cheaper than oil or 2: install a anthracite coal stove insert.
Pellet stoves are a joke compared to coal stoves.
I used to burn coal as well and will never go back. I am from central pa so it was all anthracite but i really dont like the smell or the dirt. And even anthracite although much cleaner than bit or lignite still doesnt burn that clean.

BK's and tubes stoves offer 2 different types of heating, get a slower steadier output for a longer time on a BK, or get the majority of your heat in a smaller block of time then have it disperse around the area (chase the heat curve) I'm a Bk princess owner, I can get 40k btu an hour for 10hrs straight when it gets real cold (live in the NE, haven't burnt a drop of oil for heat yet this season) or I can turn the stove down and trickle 12k btu an hour for 24hrs straight vs load a reburn tube stove and get the max stove rating (some are 75k btu) with the air turned back for 3-4hrs and chase the heat curve... (I owned a reburn stove for 3 seasons, so I have played the game)
When researching wood stoves / pellet stoves, do whats best for your situation, ask yourself how you want to burn, do you have the time / space to get wood and store it properly to dry? are you going to be a 24/7 wood heat guy, or just an evenings / weekend dude, are you home a lot to keep a re-burn stove chugging along, or do you need long burn times, are you comfortable paying a fluctuating price (based on demand , coldness, price of oil) for pellets, one season it could be $300.00 a ton, the next could be $450.00 a ton, do you have the time to do weekly ash / pellet pot scrapings and then a big pellet stove clean up once a month? These are some of the deciding factors for using a solid fuel heat source.

Reactions: Mark8
BK's and tubes stoves offer 2 different types of heating, get a slower steadier output for a longer time on a BK, or get the majority of your heat in a smaller block of time then have it disperse around the area (chase the heat curve) I'm a Bk princess owner, I can get 40k btu an hour for 10hrs straight when it gets real cold (live in the NE, haven't burnt a drop of oil for heat yet this season) or I can turn the stove down and trickle 12k btu an hour for 24hrs straight vs load a reburn tube stove and get the max stove rating (some are 75k btu) with the air turned back for 3-4hrs and chase the heat curve... (I owned a reburn stove for 3 seasons, so I have played the game)
When researching wood stoves / pellet stoves, do whats best for your situation, ask yourself how you want to burn, do you have the time / space to get wood and store it properly to dry? are you going to be a 24/7 wood heat guy, or just an evenings / weekend dude, are you home a lot to keep a re-burn stove chugging along, or do you need long burn times, are you comfortable paying a fluctuating price (based on demand , coldness, price of oil) for pellets, one season it could be $300.00 a ton, the next could be $450.00 a ton, do you have the time to do weekly ash / pellet pot scrapings and then a big pellet stove clean up once a month? These are some of the deciding factors for using a solid fuel heat source.

I have a Country Elite E260 insert built in 1991 the manufacturer says they have not changed the design of this stove in all these years and it's basically the same as the current model Lagacy C260. I live in California lowest temps are 30 deg F at night, 50 deg F daytime. I have a 2400 sq ft house one story. I'm not retired so I would be working twelve hours a day so my goal is to be able to load a stove up and safely leave it unattended for that period of time without the chance of a run away or a meltdown lol.

I have no experiance on how this E260 operates burn times because it was a used insert that came with the house and has issues that need to be fixed and we have already hashed out all those problems on a privious thread so no reason to revisit those issues.

So I'm trying to decide if I should fix the E260 or buy a BK Princess insert. So I guess my question is if I fix the E260 could I load it in the morning and leave for work safely for twelve hours or is the BK a better option safety wise for doing that. I hate the noise of fans running so a freestanding stove is the best choice but I would need to build out my hearth, that's why I'm looking at the BK Princess insert hoping the fan will not be needed for California temps.

Fixing the E260 is going to be way cheaper than buying a new stove but if it won't heat my whole house or has to be loaded often it's not worth fixing. So can you give my your opinion how the E260 would compare to a BK Princess or other options. Thanks
The BIG PICTURE, differences between stoves. The BIG PICTURE, differences between stoves.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I have a Country Elite E260 insert built in 1991 the manufacturer says they have not changed the design of this stove in all these years and it's basically the same as the current model Lagacy C260. I live in California lowest temps are 30 deg F at night, 50 deg F daytime. I have a 2400 sq ft house one story. I'm not retired so I would be working twelve hours a day so my goal is to be able to load a stove up and safely leave it unattended for that period of time without the chance of a run away or a meltdown lol.

I have no experiance on how this E260 operates burn times because it was a used insert that came with the house and has issues that need to be fixed and we have already hashed out all those problems on a privious thread so no reason to revisit those issues.

So I'm trying to decide if I should fix the E260 or buy a BK Princess insert. So I guess my question is if I fix the E260 could I load it in the morning and leave for work safely for twelve hours or is the BK a better option safety wise for doing that. I hate the noise of fans running so a freestanding stove is the best choice but I would need to build out my hearth, that's why I'm looking at the BK Princess insert hoping the fan will not be needed for California temps.

Fixing the E260 is going to be way cheaper than buying a new stove but if it won't heat my whole house or has to be loaded often it's not worth fixing. So can you give my your opinion how the E260 would compare to a BK Princess or other options. Thanks
View attachment 221897 View attachment 221898

Safety has nothing to do with it. Installed properly all are safe.

If you want your home warm and your stove still humming along when you get back from work then you want the bk. My temperatures are the same and I only reload once per day. Our climate is where the bk shines.

Yes for your climate a bk is probably the best answer. I personally would not be able to put a princess in though. They are just to damn ugly lol. But the other 2 that look great have lower btu output.

Safety has nothing to do with it. Installed properly all are safe.

If I loaded an E260 full of wood and left for work and one of my cats pulled out the air draft wouldn't the stove become a runaway and then become a dangerous fire hazard.

If I loaded an E260 full of wood and left for work and one of my cats pulled out the air draft wouldn't the stove become a runaway and then become a dangerous fire hazard.
If it is in good working order and installed correctly no it should be able to run safely wide open. Now if you do it often you will damage the stove but the house should be ok.

LOL;lol;lol;lol so true. DVD won.

Everyone's personal experiences is awesome info, keep posting.
DVD did not win any more than VHS. Current "winner" is streaming, or whatever accessing content from the cloud or your multi-terabyte hard drives is called. I recently retired my CD collection and haven't touched a DVD in at least 5 years. And I'm a very late adopter.

Reactions: Mark8 and lsucet

Well, the good news is, aesthetically, your current date is even uglier than the BK princess.

I'd use this opportunity to ride off from that old hag and invite a new princess to the party.

What she lacks in looks, she makes up in performance, apparently. A nice slow burn, perfect for California.

I'd go for it...

Reactions: bholler
Well, the good news is, aesthetically, your current date is even uglier than the BK princess.

I'd use this opportunity to ride off from that old hag and invite a new princess to the party.

What she lacks in looks, she makes up in performance, apparently. A nice slow burn, perfect for California.

I'd go for it...

You're not trying to imply that my current stove is out dated and ugly are you ;hm but it matches the rest of my out dated house and if I upgrade that means remodeling the whole house to match a modern stove $$$$$$ lol;lol. I wonder why BK wasn't considering looks when they designed the Princess. My luck I will buy a Princess and next year they will come out with a nicer looking design. I would love to buy the Ashford 25 but I don't think it will keep up, or will it.

Hi neighbor, I'm here in the Central Valley of CA too, in a 1400 sq-ft tract house. Stove is Osburn 1100 insert for romance and ambiance only. Makes a nice flame show and I'll light it at 5 and stop feeding and let it burn out at 8. Just that will bring the front of the house up seven degrees.

My annual nat gas bill for heating house and water is $300. But I do have a 95% efficient condensing furnace - :)

You're not trying to imply that my current stove is out dated and ugly are you ;hm but it matches the rest of my out dated house and if I upgrade that means remodeling the whole house to match a modern stove $$$$$$ lol;lol. I wonder why BK wasn't considering looks when they designed the Princess. My luck I will buy a Princess and next year they will come out with a nicer looking design. I would love to buy the Ashford 25 but I don't think it will keep up, or will it.
Trust me when I tell you that however old and outdated you might think your house, I've you beat by at least 100 years.

The princess will fit in perfectly with whatever decor you have, if it keeps you warm and makes you happy.

I've found that worrying about what might be available next year just trips me up.

Interesting question about the Ashford 25. Less horsepower, but better looks. If it would do the job, why not?

Personally I take form over function in every decision, except one...

Hi neighbor, I'm here in the Central Valley of CA too, in a 1400 sq-ft tract house. Stove is Osburn 1100 insert for romance and ambiance only. Makes a nice flame show and I'll light it at 5 and stop feeding and let it burn out at 8. Just that will bring the front of the house up seven degrees.

My annual nat gas bill for heating house and water is $300. But I do have a 95% efficient condensing furnace - :)

Hey neighbor, I live in the country and have propane, I took my ac/heater off the roof because it was out dated and costing a fortune to run, so whatever stove I choose will be my only form of heat and needs to heat the whole house. I as well love sitting by the fire, very relaxing.

Trust me when I tell you that however old and outdated you might think your house, I've you beat by at least 100 years.

The princess will fit in perfectly with whatever decor you have, if it keeps you warm and makes you happy.

I've found that worrying about what might be available next year just trips me up.

Interesting question about the Ashford 25. Less horsepower, but better looks. If it would do the job, why not?

Personally I take form over function in every decision, except one...
Yes an ugly stove will look ugly no matter what decor it is in lol.

I'm impressed that you've been able to train your cats to run the stove, but that's the downside- they might want more heat when you're not there.

Yes an ugly stove will look ugly no matter what decor it is in lol.

You got a better idea,I'm all ears!! yes I agree the princess is butt ugly, why they couldn't of made it more attractive is beyond me. Didn't they realize this is going in someone's living room.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I'm impressed that you've been able to train your cats to run the stove, but that's the downside- they might want more heat when you're not there.

They are pretty smart, they can open the sliding screen door and let themselves out. You have heard the saying Curiosity killed the cat.

You got a better idea,I'm all ears!! yes I agree the princess is butt ugly, why they couldn't of made it more attractive is beyond me. Didn't they realize this is going in someone's living room.
Focus on the personality! If you don't have to please someone else, it'll grow on you once it's in there.

My stove is plain as can be. Once the fire's going, no one even notices the black iron and steel- the fire is the star of the show.

Focus on the personality! If you don't have to please someone else, it'll grow on you once it's in there.

My stove is plain as can be. Once the fire's going, no one even notices the black iron and steel- the fire is the star of the show.

That's a good perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.