The cart before the horse? Almost done, and now need to check on some important information.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChainsawBandit

Feb 28, 2017
North New Jersey
So I started a full renovation of my fireplace wall. It was an original, 1962, heatilator firebox built into a complete masonry chimney and surround. The intent was to use a new wood burning insert that would fit inside the existing heatilator firebox. After stripping the marble surround, we found significant structural damage to the backup block, cinder block, behind the veneer. At this time, it was decided that the old heatilator would need to be dismantled from the inside out in order to install the needed lintel to carry the fireplace opening. A few hundred in masonry repairs, a new steel lintel to carry the opening and and all the cinderblock patched with concrete block and a fresh plaster scratch coat and I am well on my way to finishes. (Which is why I titled this post so). We settled on the Jotul Rockland 550 as an alternate, larger, insert that will now fit the opening, however in reading the instructions it appears I may have made a mistake when removing the Heatilator firebox. The outer plating is still intact, as well as the block surround, and the stone veneer is being installed this week. All in all, there is not a single combustible item anywhere near the stove. (see picture below) So is there a problem with the removal of the guts of the heatilator?

Thanks for the help!
unnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All in all, there is not a single combustible item anywhere near the stove. (see picture below) So is there a problem with the removal of the guts of the heatilator?
As long as you have the required amount of masonry between the inside where the insert will be and any combustible materials it will be fine. Here is a link to what is required

http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html