The COLD is coming to MI!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
Forecasters are saying highs in the single digits here in Michigan mid-to-late next week. Lows around or just below zero. I may actually have to burn the EKO before I go to work with those kinds of temps. I can't wait to see how many BTU's go screaming out of my house at those temps. Should be interesting...

Yeah, it's gonna be cold. At least it's not as cold as I remember it being in Wisconsin.....Thank God for lake effect......

Hi 11 Bravo,
Where in Yankee Springs? I'm south of you a little in Dowling.
The cold weather is what I have been saving my oak and hard maple for. I have been burning bl. walnut for my regular hard wood and spruce/pine for daytime with a little catalpa thrown in. I usually get 9 hour burns this time of year with my current settings. I'm not happy for the cold coming but I am interested to see how my dense hardwoods handle it.

not going to be far off from what your going to get cant wait til spring!

I am looking forward to it. I am fighting with the kids right now to bring in the wood for the next 5 days(indoor racks load). I am gonna be tapping into my hickory and white oak for the first time this winter. Cant wait to see it burn. We have been burning mostly elm and cherry up till now. We have used about 2-2.5 cords up this winter so far.

AOD said:
Where did you find hickory around here? All I seem to be able to find is sugar and norway maple.

Lets see...I walk out my back door and up the hill and start cutting. I have quite a stand of shag bark and pig nut hickories on the hills. They are going to have to take over along with the red and white oaks and red and sugar maples, now that all the elms are dieing. Where about in MI are you at?

We are happy to pass the cold onto you from Fairbanks Alaska. Its been below -20 now for about two weeks. We expect to get up to almost Zero in three days. Was -31 last night, but we are lucky as we are at 700 feet elevation. Those lower down get the -40 to -50 temperatures.

FairbanksAlaska said:
We are happy to pass the cold onto you from Fairbanks Alaska. Its been below -20 now for about two weeks. We expect to get up to almost Zero in three days. Was -31 last night, but we are lucky as we are at 700 feet elevation. Those lower down get the -40 to -50 temperatures.
-40 to -50 never felt any thing that cold, but were going to get some strong winds with -5 thats the part that gets you here in the midwest

Status
Not open for further replies.