The ease of a chimney liner installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I'll be the first to admit that I am a nervous person and I over think things, which in turn gets me more nervous and worked up. I am also fairly handy with building things and done a good deal of automotive work. So when I decided it would be cheap insurance to line the chimney, I figured I could just order a kit and install it. Or could I? I spent countless hours pouring over the internet and Hearth.com reading install instructions and posts from people who, like myself, didn't know if they could install it themselves. Finally, I decided it was time to crap or get off the pot. The chimney is virtually a straight shot to the basement. I figured I would only need about 18' of liner. I started to get nervous again when I realized that the inside flue dimensions were just under 7"x7" and that the OD of the liner was close to 6.5". It didn't leave a lot of room for flues to be off center or for mortar globs to be sticking out. Couple that with the fact there was a big screw sticking off the side of the connector for the clamp, I was getting a little nervous that I was in over my head. But, I was on the roof already and figured that I would rather try and fail than pay someone else to do a job that I maybe could have done myself. So, I started feeding the liner in. A couple feet in, the liner got snagged, but a slight turn is all it took to free it and down it went. A few more snags were encountered, but twisting the liner took care of those as well. Total elapsed time to actually get the liner down the chimney and connect the T at the bottom: 15 minutes!!! And I did the whole thing without so much as an extra person at the bottom end holding the T snout!

The moral of the story is that these liners are unbelievably easy to install! I'll add some pictures this weekend once I get the bottom T mortared in and the top plate sealed off. But I just thought I'd stop for a minute and say thank you to all the people who have posted on liners in the past. I appreciate all the help and ideas I get from this board. Who knew a forum on wood stoves would be so helpful?!?!

I agree, with the help of the folks here at hearth.com, installing a liner (among other things) is so easy even a caveman could do it.

Ike,

My chimney is also a straight shot down and I used rigid liner in mine. It took me a little longer because of assembly of the 4' lengths. Mine has a tee with removable snout at the bottom. Very easy to assemble. Maybe an hour with installing the chimney cap. Big improvement in my draft.

Jim

I'm glad I bought a damper for the stove pipe. With the liner and the T installed, I can put my face by the T and feel the air being sucked up! And that is with a liner/flue that is currently at 50-60 degrees!

RAY_PA said:
I agree, with the help of the folks here at hearth.com, installing a liner (among other things) is so easy even a caveman could do it.

Rolls eyes, throws everything to ground and walks away. Damn Geico

Status
Not open for further replies.