The front plate popped off the body of my Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BTA

Nov 24, 2020
Volcano, Hawaii
I've had my Jotul F118 Big Bear for about 10 years then one cold evening while I was trying to get toasty the front plate (door frame) popped off. I've tried to re-assemble it but just can't figure out how and in what order it all goes to together. I don't know nothin about wood burning stoves and so I called a 'certified technician' to check it out. Turns out I knew more about it than he did. The owners manual has a parts diagram but no documentation on how to assemble/disassemble the stove . Not sure where to go from here.

Ouch. That's not supposed to happen. Was the stove taken apart at some point? Normally the front is held captive by the lower top plate. It that lower top plate warped or cracked? Are any of the lower top plate's bolts missing or snapped off?

The stove was not taken apart and to my untrained eyes, I cannot see any warping or notice any missing/snapped off bolts (then again I may not know what I'm looking for). I have since tried putting it all together again. Part of the problem initially was getting the two secondary air tubes above the lip on the front plate where they are held secure. I was finally able to do so and was then able to snap in the top ridge of the front plate under the lip of the top plate (as I believe you are referring to). It feels somewhat secure but I have my doubts it will remain so when I heat things up. Wish me luck and I will let you know what happens. Thanks for your help.

Well, if all else fails, get a bucket of hot lava rocks. :eek: :)