"The furnace works" wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should have stuck with the one thread.

I suspect changing it will not help. You have been given some answers already (and seeming to be brushing over or ignoring them) - but the help you could get here is limited by the lack of details presented. Pictures would help to start - along with more data. Stack temps? Temps in & out of both boilers? Wood moisture content? Exact type of underground piping? What are you pumping with? Controls? Insulation?

But with the boiler you have, you are behind an 8-ball to start with.

Reactions: TCaldwell
The "SFB-3" was a interesting boiler. Rated at 120,000 BTU,S per hour with a small water capacity meant burning "DRY WOOD" so it could not achieve this output, just the slightest hint of moisture and output was really bad . Also to be able to meet loads on demand the fire box has to keep at least half full of wood.Every so often you will have to take a chisel and clean the area were the draft butterfly closes of creosote ,creosote will build on this surface and prevent the butterfly from closing resulting in an over-fire, and the pressure relief valve dumping a whole bunch of water and ending up with a bunch of air in your single zone .

Last edited:
I ordered a moisture meter from eBay today. Got a temp gauge for the stove pipe.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Anyone using a "The furnace works" wood boiler? I just bought one and I am going to hook it up to my oil boiler. looking for some feed back on how good this unit works.

I've been looking for a FWB for a while, I have a 1K SF house and want to use one to take the edge off my fuel bills.
From what I have read your house is too big for the size of boiler.
If it don't work out let me know.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.