"The furnace works" wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buck0123

Mar 19, 2014
ny
Anyone using a "The furnace works" wood boiler? I just bought one and I am going to hook it up to my oil boiler. looking for some feed back on how good this unit works.

I can not give you any advise on this appliance, but I wish you all the best with it and hope "the furnace works" great for you.

Reactions: GS7
That video just leaves me speechless. !!!
Love the B-Vent in the chimney. ;lol

The Boiler Room has always been entertaining but never to this extent. This surely created some giggles here.

I suspect you might not get much feedback here on how GOOD it works - although the vid guy above seems (or seemed) quite happy. Maybe you can reach him somehow?

(Also, usually research is much more effective if applied BEFORE the buy....)

Reactions: heaterman
I suspect you might not get much feedback here on how GOOD it works - although the vid guy above seems (or seemed) quite happy. Maybe you can reach him somehow?

(Also, usually research is much more effective if applied BEFORE the buy....)
You don't know what you don't know = happiness

Reactions: heaterman
Anyone using a "The furnace works" wood boiler? I just bought one and I am going to hook it up to my oil boiler. looking for some feed back on how good this unit works.

Have used one, but somewhat in the past 30+ years ago!
It can really produce but it likes dry wood.
Plumb in parallel if possible to cut down on wood consumption.
It worked successfully when plumbed to a tankless coil for domestic demand hot water.
Will really smoke as it cycles on and off, so expect some static if you have neighbors close by!
When compared to a gasification boiler with storage, it will burn a large amount of wood but at the price you are paying there should be no complaint.
It will also teach you much about heating water with wood!!
Good Luck!

Last edited:
The Boiler Room has always been entertaining but never to this extent. This surely created some giggles here.

That video is almost as good as the Canadian guy with the Outdoor wood burner. Someone needs to boot that up again.

Have used one, but somewhat in the past 30+ years ago!
It can really produce but it likes dry wood.
Plumb in parallel if possible to cut down on wood consumption.
It worked successfully when plumbed to a tankless coil for domestic demand hot water.
Will really smoke as it cycles on and off, so expect some static if you have neighbors close by!
When compared to a gasification boiler with storage, it will burn a large amount of wood but at the price you are paying there should be no complaint.
It will also teach you much about heating water with wood!!
Good Luck!

You should consider a second career in Diplomacy.

==c

Hey buck0123: I have never run this model, but just wanted to turn the tide here and see if we can give you some constructive advice.

First off: are you planning to install inside your home or outside?

Hey buck0123: I have never run this model, but just wanted to turn the tide here and see if we can give you some constructive advice.

First off: are you planning to install inside your home or outside?

It is made for inside, but I am going to insulate it and put it in a shed outside about 50 or so feet from the house.

So I would suggest the sticky about Underground lines for starters. Premade pipe will be $750-$1000. If you use the correct Pipe.

I would make a suggestion that you build your shed large enough to house a newer Boiler as I feel this stove you currently own will be a stepping stone for your central heating needs.

Now the newer boilers work best with water storage. Do you have room in your house for storage? If not size your shed to accommodate water storage also.

Don't be shy the posters here have a wealth of knowledge.

If I was building a boiler shed, it would be nice to have dry storage for wood. I always thought of building dry storage that would house 2yrs of wood. With a walkway in the middle. A years worth on each side. Save on handling.

Boiler room should be big enough for a frig and poker table.

Reactions: webby3650
So I would suggest the sticky about Underground lines for starters. Premade pipe will be $750-$1000. If you use the correct Pipe.

I would make a suggestion that you build your shed large enough to house a newer Boiler as I feel this stove you currently own will be a stepping stone for your central heating needs.

Now the newer boilers work best with water storage. Do you have room in your house for storage? If not size your shed to accommodate water storage also.

Don't be shy the posters here have a wealth of knowledge.

A new out door wood boiler is about $10,000 I really don't want to spend that much. I said 50 or so feet that is to the Oil boiler in the garage. the stove will be about 20-25 feet from the house then when I get the lines into the basement I can use regular pex Line. The under ground line will be the biggest expense for the project. I think if I get around a 100 gallons of storage it will work good. I also plan on hooking it up with a bypass loop so if I have a problem with the stove I can close a couple valves and open one to use just the oil boiler

Reactions: flyingcow
Yes, The OWB is pricey now.

That's how ended up here also.

I think with your logic of the install, it will work. No disagreement.
IMHO:I think that if you invest the money to install this unit it would be best to make sure you can slide a new indoor gasser into its place, if you chose to upgrade later. The price of the indoor gasser depending on what your heat load, may not be as high.
Look at some of the signatures on this site. some are heating some large S.F. with smaller indoor units with storage. some are using very low cord numbers also. along with higher constant house temperatures.

Yes, The OWB is pricey now.

That's how ended up here also.

I think with your logic of the install, it will work. No disagreement.
IMHO:I think that if you invest the money to install this unit it would be best to make sure you can slide a new indoor gasser into its place, if you chose to upgrade later. The price of the indoor gasser depending on what your heat load, may not be as high.
Look at some of the signatures on this site. some are heating some large S.F. with smaller indoor units with storage. some are using very low cord numbers also. along with higher constant house temperatures.

What do you think about using a couple 50 gallon hot water heaters for storage? How would I hook them up would I use both lines that come out of the top or use one and the drain connection on the bottom?

I personally wouldn't use a water tank for storage but certainly as a buffer. You could research "build it solar" website and see several DIY storage ideas. Youtube may have plumbing diagram or how to also.

Does your current oil boiler have a buffer tank in the system?

Got my boiler running the only problem is when house calls for heat water temps drops to 130 and will not go up. Will water storage help with this issue?

Boiler is "the furnace works" has 9 gallon water jacket plus all the water in the lines. house is about 3000 sq feet.

Thanks,
Bill

Got my boiler running the only problem is when house calls for heat water temps drops to 130 and will not go up. Will water storage help with this issue?

Boiler is "the furnace works" has 9 gallon water jacket plus all the water in the lines. house is about 3000 sq feet.

Thanks,
Bill

Most likely not.
Did you use a boiler loading valve or pump group?
Draw up a piping schematic and post it here.

I used this one.

I only have one zone

There is a flow control valve after circulator on oil boiler on the supply line going to the house. this was already on the boiler.

water2water-hu.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks,
Bill

No.

house is about 3000 sq feetThanks,Bill

Are you burning dry wood? It needs dry wood to produce 17% moisture content maximum ,also wood should be split smalller no bigger than a 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch diameter and a charge of 8 pieces for a good brisk fire ! If the entire house calls for heat it should take 15 to 20 minutes for the boiler to be back up to 150 degrees. I was heating 3400 sq ft . and demand DHW and had no problems.

How tall is your chimney?

Last edited:
Hey hobby heater

Are u using a furnace works wood boiler?

I also have mine outside 20 feet from the House and 20 feet of pipe in the basement to the oil boiler. About 40 feet of 1" pex all together to reach the oil boiler. Outside line is wrapped in foam.

Wood is some what dry.

Chimney is 12 ft tall

Did notice creasote running out of the elbow on the back of the stove

Thanks
Bill

Reactions: woodsmaster
Status
Not open for further replies.