The gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Forker

Oct 16, 2018
Columbus
Previous homeowner burned a ton of wood. Since purchasing the home finally found time to look up the flue and see the pipe is seperated from the stove. See pic. The insert is surrounded by granite and wood trim. Is there any way to fix this from within the stove? It’s tight in there.

Attachments

• 186FB70C-06D0-4DF8-B237-9E6708A49288.jpeg
    186FB70C-06D0-4DF8-B237-9E6708A49288.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 116
Previous homeowner burned a ton of wood. Since purchasing the home finally found time to look up the flue and see the pipe is seperated from the stove. See pic. The insert is surrounded by granite and wood trim. Is there any way to fix this from within the stove? It’s tight in there.
Post a pic of the face of the stove

Where my single wall pipe meets the class A chimney there is a small gap at the joint. I used several small self tapping screws to draw the gap closed. You can still see some daylight thru it when looking in thru the cleanout tee. It always draws fine has caused no issue so far. If your getting smoke around the joint you could use some furnace cement to seal the joint.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Bholler will correct me if wrong. But that liner looks filthy with build-up! Sweep it and cleanup before doing any work would be my plan and make sure it’s safe to burn. Otherwise, you will be covered in soot and risking a fire when burning hot with good wood.

Bholler will correct me if wrong. But that liner looks filthy with build-up! Sweep it and cleanup before doing any work would be my plan and make sure it’s safe to burn. Otherwise, you will be covered in soot and risking a fire when burning hot with good wood.
Yes it is very dirty and clearly needs cleaned. But i have no idea what type of setup this is so i cant give any advice at all. Which is why i asked to see the face of the unit.

Yes it is very dirty and clearly needs cleaned. But i have no idea what type of setup this is so i cant give any advice at all. Which is why i asked to see the face of the unit.

I forget you are a pro and advice given is (slightly) more important and (accurate!) than us common folk :)

I mean that in the best way possible! You helped me through a lot of issues as of late and I appreciate it!

I forget you are a pro and advice given is (slightly) more important and (accurate!) than us common folk :)
I wouldnt say more important at all. As far as accuracy i try and i think for the most part i am accurate but so are many non pros here. And yes i am wrong sometimes as well.

Having a big slice of humble pie tonight, are we? :)

I’m going to watch this one out because I’m curious about hooking a liner up/fixing one. It’s what kept me from removing my insert and doing a 1 piece block off plate.

Having a big slice of humble pie tonight, are we? :)
No just pointing out there are many non pros here who help as many people as me.

Additional photos. Happy to provide more as I don’t know what the professional eye looks at.

Totally agree it’s dirty and needs cleaned, no question.

Attachments

• 8E3A4DCE-3FFE-4D1C-9D6A-C16E22A4F94F.jpeg
    8E3A4DCE-3FFE-4D1C-9D6A-C16E22A4F94F.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 101
  • A7D67891-71D8-4ED2-B4B9-904FA1C2A812.jpeg
    A7D67891-71D8-4ED2-B4B9-904FA1C2A812.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DA935433-1585-46D2-9901-79E85F28F9C0.jpeg
    DA935433-1585-46D2-9901-79E85F28F9C0.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 108
I would clean it good so you can actually see what is going on. Has the whole system been inspected by a chimney pro?

It may be fine as it is. I really cant tell much from the interior pic because of the ammount of dirt. But if there is a problem no it cant be fixed from inside the unit. It may be possible to do it by going down through the top or the back wall may need opened up

Agreed with the need for cleaning. The chimney starts right at the fireplace. I am wondering if what we are seeing it the end of the starter collar which should be attached and sealed to the fireplace top?

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 3.52.57 PM.png

The end is corned in to aid in installation? Could the pipe be nice and snug just a few inches up? Im just spitballing.

The end is corned in to aid in installation? Could the pipe be nice and snug just a few inches up? Im just spitballing.
Absolutely could be that is why an inspection by a qualified pro is needed. Or maybe we will be able to see more when clean

It's common to crimp the end of the start collar for easier fit. Hard to tell here until the chimney is cleaned.

Never seen a forum this responsive. Thanks.

I found a screw on the opposite side of the gap. Something still holding on for dear life.

I bought the house in August and just got a chance to look at the stove. Will have professional out bf striking a match.

Didn’t want to waste anyone’s time. Appreciate the input.

Attachments

• 199D2904-EAAA-4203-AF43-B51D03840C84.png
    199D2904-EAAA-4203-AF43-B51D03840C84.png
    705.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 441DC9D1-BDDE-4885-A748-04E2555D75B9.png
    441DC9D1-BDDE-4885-A748-04E2555D75B9.png
    612.2 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Bushels20
Never seen a forum this responsive. Thanks.

I found a screw on the opposite side of the gap. Something still holding on for dear life.

I bought the house in August and just got a chance to look at the stove. Will have professional out bf striking a match.

Didn’t want to waste anyone’s time. Appreciate the input.

Everyone here is great. So many people willing to help when you need it. You can get answers to your problems in a few hours most of the time.

People get all worried about gaps. Notice how there is no soot or creosote in there? Why?
To ease some minds on this, go look at the draft hood on a gas water heater. It is good to be concerned about safety, but most fears on this situation are unfounded. The laws of physics are on your side.