The good / the (maybe) bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
The Good: We got a great score of rounds off Craigslist yesterday. We had to pay for it (nominal) and I figure it will split up to just less than 2 cord. This will be for 2014/15. Free pickings have been few and far between for us this year.

The (maybe) bad: Got some b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l cherry logs, 8-14" dia., 5-6.5' long (about 10 of them). I really, really hate to use this for firewood. Sure wish I knew someone who could use the cherry for some type of woodworking project.

Burn it Shari. We have a few cherry that need to come down this year too. Doesn't bother me at all burning that stuff.

The aroma far outweighs a nice table==c.

I know the feeling about that beautiful wood, but these may be some comforting thoughts:

Around here, mills don't want cherry smaller than 16", and they never take yard trees. Also, unless it's a veneer quality log, the timber company/driver who delivers it wants a truckload. It's pretty small for the chainsaw mill guys, too.

If your local CL doesn't have lots of ads for wood blanks or slabs, then the woodworkers probably don't have a problem getting it. Black cherry grows like a weed here. It's everywhere.

Feel better?

Last edited:
Don't feel guilty about burning it. I have burned some high quality black walnut in the past. The heat feels gooood.>>

Agree with all here, burn & enjoy!

I got some beautiful apple wood ready to burn this year. Lots of folks say what a shame it is and I should save it for smoking...even though I don't have a smoker!

It will definitely be keeping my family warm this winter!

If the sawmill people and the loggers and wholesalers and the wood industry people are anything like the economic development planners and planning boards and town assessors....then they have each others hands in each others pockets and they aint gonna let you in there.
If the trees ended up in your yard in the first place you can pretty much be assured you are gonna be the final 'consumer'.
Does that sound bitter?

Burn it.

My niece is an artist ( has had work shown in galleries ) and lamented some of my cherry wood being burned. She and her friends constantly do, but very rarely does anyone actually come and pick through my rounds or cutting piles for material to work with. A few have and I've found some of that very material still sitting on decks and in studios 10 years later with nothing more than a potential image of what might exist in a piece.

I do have very few straight pieces and I have a few cherry trees I haven't cut because there are staright sections that might yield some nice boards should I ever get a band mill here somehow. ( I own no big saws for a chainsaw mill )

Maybe do a craigslist search for sawmills and you might find someone who will take it off your hands but Tthe one guy near me won't travel more than 15 miles to come get it and is only looking for free stuff or a fee to cut it up for me. . Not worth my time

Okay, I'm convinced - going in the burn pile. :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Good choice. I scored some really fine cherry a couple years ago, some blow down from a storm. The landowner that was listing the logs wanted a mill to come get them for milling so they wouldn't go to waste as firewood. The mill would not waste their time for 3- 20' lengths. nobody else would take them because of the size so i was the last resort. Did they ever smell good going through the splitter. dried quickly, average heat output.

Status
Not open for further replies.