The guy who installed my insert recommended that we get the chimney swept. The chimney sweep said that our installation was faulty.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Could the Insert be reused if the existing fire place is removed and the framing is replaced with steel studs and dry board?
If everything was removed and rebuilt back to specs that comply with what the new insert calls for, no reason that wouldn't work.
I have a Drolet 1400i (insert stove) in the fireplace, which is stone and has an arched opening...I didn't want an ugly old square surround panel against my arched stone, that would look stupid. So I built a heavy steel platform for the insert stove to sit on that has legs on it like a freestanding stove would...makes it look like it was made that way...only an industry pro would ever notice that something is other than factory designed. I think I have posted pics of it here before...I'll look.

Last edited:
Here it is...
My point with this is that there may be a way to make this stove work for the OP if the dealer wont help.
1585489887795.png

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
It may be unpleasant and require a lot of negative energy, but I would definitely go after the dealer to either make it right or give me a full refund, including the installation cost. I don't think there is an inexpensive or simple solution here.

Your one possibility is to locate the manufacturer and model number for the zc unit and see if an insert installation is supported.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
Could the Insert be reused if the existing fire place is removed and the framing is replaced with steel studs and dry board?
No

If everything was removed and rebuilt back to specs that comply with what the new insert calls for, no reason that wouldn't work.
I have a Drolet 1400i (insert stove) in the fireplace, which is stone and has an arched opening...I didn't want an ugly old square surround panel against my arched stone, that would look stupid. So I built a heavy steel platform for the insert stove to sit on that has legs on it like a freestanding stove would...makes it look like it was made that way...only an industry pro would ever notice that something is other than factory designed. I think I have posted pics of it here before...I'll look.
The specs that are called for are a full masonry fireplace or a zero clearance box that is listed and allows inserts

The specs that are called for are a full masonry fireplace or a zero clearance box that is listed and allows inserts
So if I wanted to plunk this thing down on the bare concrete basement floor, 20 ft from anything bedsides the chimney, that's not allowed? If not, I have some special hand signals for the lawyers that have got us to this point...

Last edited:
So if I wanted to plunk this thing down on the bare concrete basement floor, 20 ft from anything bedsides the chimney, that's not allowed? If not, I have some special hand signals for the lawyers that have got us to this point...
It would not be code compliant no. It would be perfectly safe yes. But the op couldn't do that anyway.

Reactions: Mech e

I dont think you understand what the OP has. It isnt a masonry fireplace. To rebuild it back to specs would require them to remove the whole thing and then build a masonry fireplace.

All you did was elevate the insert and not use the decorative surround, but it is installed in a masonry fireplace.

Reactions: bholler
I dont think you understand what the OP has. It isnt a masonry fireplace. To rebuild it back to specs would require them to remove the whole thing and then build a masonry fireplace.

All you did was elevate the insert and not use the decorative surround, but it is installed in a masonry fireplace.
I don't think you understand what I was getting at...maybe rip it all out and rebuild back in a way that would meet requirements...or go free standing...better than a $5k decoration! I never suggested building a new masonry FP.
But since bholler says none of what I suggested will fly anyways, my idea has already been shot down, so thanks for beating a dead horse...its now "deader" I guess...it had a DNR order from the glue factory anyways, so its OK.
And I think I have a pretty good idea what I did, and have here...in my own living room...3 ft from where I'm sitting...

I don't think you understand what I was getting at...maybe rip it all out and rebuild back in a way that would meet requirements...or go free standing...better than a $5k decoration! I never suggested building a new masonry FP.
But since bholler says none of what I suggested will fly anyways, my idea has already been shot down, so thanks for beating a dead horse...its now "deader" I guess...it had a DNR order from the glue factory anyways, so its OK.
And I think I have a pretty good idea what I did, and have here...in my own living room...3 ft from where I'm sitting...

Again, I believe the new insert is a insert, not zero clearance, so the only way to remove and rebuild to spec is to remove and build a masonary fireplace... I was only responding to your post "If everything was removed and rebuilt back to specs that comply with what the new insert calls for ".
I was not trying to beat your dead horse.

OP, did you ever get this figured out?