The Hurricane effect has started

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

As Of Feb 15 all Andersen window products increased 20% across the board. Expect further increases in building supplies and glass products

Prices are starting to go up here as well. All construction products have risen 10-20% in preperation for the coming building season. The worst is steel, if you are planning on building a steel building there can be up to a three year wait to get your steel shipped up andthe price has gone up 50% from just 18 months ago. It's going to be hard to purchased any new construction soon as builders are going to move that cost on the the buyer (naturally).

felt paper went up within a few weeks of the hurricanes

elkimmeg said:
As Of Feb 15 all Andersen window products increased 20% across the board. Expect further increases in building supplies and glass products

Andersen usually has a price increase every year at this time. I don't know about the 20%, that seems awfully high.

I work at Andersen and the bigwigs say we are all working overtime lately, because people are trying to beat the price increase that takes place this month.

Plywood jumped right after the hurricane and I haven't noticed it come back down yet. No point waiting since there is always something happening that will drive the price up a bit.

My lumber yard sent out a notice that it could only hod a bid 14 days.
The way I found out about Anderson is My wife and I were pricing out Sliders
to replace the Alumium 27 year old ones. Interest free for 12 months and I
opened a comercial account another 10% off Well the one we picked out was about
$900 but when entered in to the computer is came out closer to 1100 Homedepot changed the
computer pricing but had not changed the display models prices. Even the sales person did not know.
The manager informed us of the Anderson Increases We Bought Atrium where they had not boosted the prices yet
Sorry Rob. I could have picked them up there with the current inventory price but the wife wanted grills in the
glass special order. I said do you realize the grills just cost $400. Makes cleanning the window easier. Then I said,
how hard is it to snap out a grill? No wonder I'm buying used wood stoves?

Don't feel bad Elk. We are redoing the kitchen. I have asked many similar questions about th eupgrade stuff my wife wants in the new kitchen. I bet you were sorry for askingt that question about the grills. The difference between what we need and what we want is amazing.

Are the new windows covered in the insulation tax credit?

Bet you see a spike in insulation prices as well (based on it being 20% 'cheaper' to the buyer), despite using very little of it in the Gulf Coast.

Steve

I have been building houses for 3 years now, and the price of materials have been steadily increasing.

No wonder, check out raw material commidity price appreciations over the last year. (Steel, Aluminum, Oil, Copper, etc)

Makes ya wonder about the inflation numbers the govt puts out.

From our inspections office view point all permits vollums are noticibly down. I average 30 inspections a month,
last month 12. The 1.5 mill and up homes are sitting there at least 15 in inventory not selling. One Builder dropped
his price $50,000 got it sold then the buyers backed out, it still sits there being heated. I mean, land cost are over
$300,000. It is not un common to buy that 50's ranch for $350,000 and tear it down. When I moved in and built my home,
this was a working class town. Not anymore. No current working class person could afford a home here now. Working class here is now the minority

Elk,

I moved back to the town I grew up in. Live 5 minutes from my parents, and 15 from my grandma. When I grew up here, it was a tourist trap/farm town. Now, we bought the CHEAPEST house in town, bargained them down even further, and still paid 475,000 for it. Chester, NJ

Crazy, huh?

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.