The Jotul Has Landed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famer

Aug 18, 2008
NJ
As you can see, I haven't posted a whole lot of messages to this forum, but I've read a ton and learned lots. I'm a firm believer in the theory that you can learn more by listening (or reading, in this case) than you can by talking. Any way...this forum has provided me with a wealth of useful information and I am now the proud, well informed owner of a Jotul Kennebec. We went with the Tamarack surround, becase my wife preferred it over the other choice.

It's supposed to get chilly at night here in the next few days, so I'm hoping to do my break-in burns over the weekend. I can't wait! I'm figuring there will be a lot to learn in this first season, but I'm really looking forward to significantly reducing my gas bills this winter while watching the flames do their thing (preferably with a frosty cold one in my hand).

The Kennebec is in place. The wood is ready to go. Bring it on, Old Man Winter!

Thanks again to this forum and all the great info and insights provided here.

Stay warm.

Attachments

• InsertInstalled-Small.JPG
    InsertInstalled-Small.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 789
Mmm. Very nice. That insert was on my short list, too.

Gorgeous stove. Those Tamarack surrounds are beautiful if she is the one that has to dust it. :lol:

I love the look of the old brick with this stove. It really sets it off nicely. Happy heating!

Dusting? Did someone say "Dusting?" I'm not sure my wife was aware of the details of the surround when she said she liked it. I'll break the news to her tomorrow. She's asleep on the couch by the (break-in) fire, as we "speak."

Do you have proper clearances from your wood mantel?

It also looks like you don't have 18" of hearth in front of the insert.

I do love the look, just looking out for your safety.

Famer- Looks great! That's a beautiful room you have there. I have the same insert- this is our third year with it. I'm sure you will love it.

Couple of things you might want to consider: Check the clearance measurements to the wooden mantle- it looks like it might be too close. I had a similar mantle to yours and it was too low and projected out too far. I had to remove it and replaced it with a bluestone shelf to meet code. Also, you might want to consider a hearth rug or mat to protect the area right in front of the hearth. I've got a few holes in our carpet that prove the point :)

Josh

In the pic it looks like there is a mantel shield on the stove.

The hearth is about 18" from the opening of the unit, so I'm just on the edge of meeting the specs. Nontheless, we're planning on getting, or making, a hearth pad. The mantle too, is pretty close. I'm a little short on the height for both the facia and the mantel itself, but both of those are not as deep as specified in the manual. I'll see what the inspector says, but I suspect there's a heat shield in my future.

BrotherBart said:

Farmer Great looking setup.

BB do you have a pic of a Mantel heat shield mounted on the mantel??? we have the f400 on the hearth.

Very nice! Looks like a great room to cozy up in on a cold evening. :)

johnnywarm said:
BrotherBart said:

Farmer Great looking setup.

BB do you have a pic of a Mantel heat shield mounted on the mantel??? we have the f400 on the hearth.

Nope. Don't have one.

We finally got the heat shield for our Kennebec delivered, which we needed to meet spec. So, after I got it attached to the surround and my wife and I struggled to get the surround back on the stove, we called the township to have the whole set up inspected. We had provided a bunch of documentation for the stove (namely the clearance requirements, UL information, etc.) as part of our permit application and I figured the inspector would have that documentation with him when he did his inspection to make sure we're "legal."

Well...the inspector came out to our house the other day, shined a flashlight into the box and the fan unit, jiggled the heat shield to make sure it was secure and asked if there was "a stainless steel flue liner in there?" That was it! Actually, that wasn't all he had to say...he also asked how it's been working for us. He spent less than two minutes at my house.

In the end, I have the "passed inspection" documentation and we're officially on record with the township - so there shouldn't be any issue with selling the house, etc. - but it just seems like such a bogus process. At the very least, I would have thought that he would have measured things to ensure clearance requirements were met - especially since we had to provide that info with our permit application. I hope all inspection processes aren't like this.

Famer said:
We finally got the heat shield for our Kennebec delivered, which we needed to meet spec. So, after I got it attached to the surround and my wife and I struggled to get the surround back on the stove, we called the township to have the whole set up inspected. We had provided a bunch of documentation for the stove (namely the clearance requirements, UL information, etc.) as part of our permit application and I figured the inspector would have that documentation with him when he did his inspection to make sure we're "legal."

Well...the inspector came out to our house the other day, shined a flashlight into the box and the fan unit, jiggled the heat shield to make sure it was secure and asked if there was "a stainless steel flue liner in there?" That was it! Actually, that wasn't all he had to say...he also asked how it's been working for us. He spent less than two minutes at my house.

In the end, I have the "passed inspection" documentation and we're officially on record with the township - so there shouldn't be any issue with selling the house, etc. - but it just seems like such a bogus process. At the very least, I would have thought that he would have measured things to ensure clearance requirements were met - especially since we had to provide that info with our permit application. I hope all inspection processes aren't like this.

Had the same situation here in Mass....inspector didn't even come within 20 feet of ths stove...glad I had the permit but was pissed that they didn't even check anything...since I had quadruple checked everything and even lost some sleep in case I didn't meet clearances...welcome to the world of the inspection process. Also, welcome to the board....wanted to buy your unit but wouldn't fit in my fireplace....great looking stove!

habsfan70 said:
Beautiful install. How much wood are you sitting on?

Thanks...we're really enjoying it, although it's been a bit too warm this past week to justify cranking it up. I've got about 2.5 cords of wood ready to go and already making plans for next year's supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.