The last Jotul F600 (Thank you)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whtl4856

Feb 14, 2020
SE Michigan
Hi Everyone,

In the late fall of 2018, we moved into a new house with an air source heat pump and electric furnace. After living there for just a couple of weeks our energy bills were quite a bit higher than we expected. I considered an outdoor boiler and some other options. Then in late January of 2019 we had two days in a row with a low temperature below -10 F and our house dropped to 56 degrees despite our heat running around the clock. These days convinced me I needed a wood stove and I stumbled on the Hearth forums. I started studying what stove I would get, what size I needed, etc. and planned to get it installed this past summer.

I was set on getting a PE Alderlea T6, then we went to the dealer we were planning on purchasing from and we didn't like the look as much in person (or the dealer). The dealer also carried Jotul and we both fell in love with these stoves; we wanted the F600 in blue black enamel. Then we discovered that Jotul was going to discontinue this unit and there was no enameled stoves left in stock. I called a few local dealers and nobody had or could get an enameled stove. Jotul just had a few matte black units left at the factory. Some time went by and I got discouraged; then I realized if we want this stove we will have to just get the matte black unit. I worked with a new dealer and ordered the very last unit they had at the factory.

We finally had our stove installed last week and I could not be more happy; it was down in the single digits last night and the heat did not run at all. My house is much more comfortable and our heating bill is going to

Having read these forums for the last 1+ year to get all of the information I needed for the stove sizing, installation suggestions, what to expect, and countless other things, I just wanted to create an account to say thank you to all of the helpful members on this forum for the wealth of information. This site is a great place for all things related to burning wood.

So If I'm reading correctly, you got a matte black finish 600. It's a great stove, no matter the finish. We have an dark green enamel 500, almost 20 years. Ours is as perfect today as it was day one. We treat it right. Normally we don't need fires over 500, and most of the time 300 - 400. Don't ever! open the ash pan door open to start a fire, The side door open for start up is fine. Actually mine can be run with the fount doors open. Never did it as it is so nice closed. Good luck and welcome.

So If I'm reading correctly, you got a matte black finish 600. It's a great stove, no matter the finish. We have an dark green enamel 500, almost 20 years. Ours is as perfect today as it was day one. We treat it right. Normally we don't need fires over 500, and most of the time 300 - 400. Don't ever! open the ash pan door open to start a fire, The side door open for start up is fine. Actually mine can be run with the fount doors open. Never did it as it is so nice closed. Good luck and welcome.
Yes thank you. That’s great to hear about the longevity. I’ve been leaving the side door open when starting fires; my stove had a sticker on the front window warning never to open the ash pan to start a fire so there must’ve been a lot of stoves ruined this way.

That’s great to hear about the longevity. I’ve been leaving the side door open when starting fires; my stove had a sticker on the front window warning never to open the ash pan to start a fire so there must’ve been a lot of stoves ruined this way.
Yup. That is a sure way to risk cracking the base. You could repaint the stove. With the right color and a clear coat it will have a soft enameled look.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Where are the pictures? We love pictures!

Where are the pictures? We love pictures!
Here she is; I need to clean up the grout a little bit and I plan to add a mantle above the stone on the wall. Also going replace the electrical outlet and plug with a gray one so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.
E67654A6-53D4-4620-9528-6D9EE48BF3A1.jpeg