The Log-Length Truckload has finally been cut, split and stacked.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donmattingly

Jun 17, 2009
Southern,NH
Well friends, the grapple load that was delivered this past May has finally been cut, split and stacked. This will heat the home in 2014-2015. Started the process on Labor Day weekend. Wood was split by hand of course. (We are anti-splitter over here) Only a couple of rounds have been left for spring as I cut them too long for the wood stove and the saw has been put away for winter. Let the seasoning begin. I have not used the cord calculator but I am guessing it between 8-9 cords. 020.JPG021.JPG

Nice Job! wish i could get a cherry picker load. hard to get them in these parts. most of the time i have to scrounge pickup loads or thin out the canopy out back. i'll have to try the local logger i got my processed firewood from last year.

cass

Great work and nice looking stacks! Was there a reason you cross-stacked everything?

Did you have to purchase that load or was it a "gift"? If you and to pay mind if I hask how much?

Great looking stacks.

AWESOME
Nice stacks & I bet a "good warm feeling" every time you look at them ;)
Good job!

Reactions: donmattingly
Great work and nice looking stacks! Was there a reason you cross-stacked everything?

Two reasons. #1 My father stacks wood like that. #2 I have noticed that for me it is the best way to create a nice strong stack. (Let's just say those stacks are close to the driveway and my wife is fond of backing up until she hits something.) Seasons very well this way too.

Did you have to purchase that load or was it a "gift"? If you and to pay mind if I hask how much?
It was purchased by a tree service here in town. $800. Same price a three years ago. 5 years ago it was $650. (different supplier) I have a relationship with the Tree Service guy so in this case one hand washes the other in a way.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That's not a bad price at all. I pay $1200/load up here and that is the best price I have found.

That is great. :). What kind of wood do you have in there?

I stack the same way.....so naturally........Nice stacks!!!!! I find taking time and keeping evrything level as an eyeball can make it prevents things from falling down. I'm jealous. You just put some work in to that pile, enjoy it.

That is great. :). What kind of wood do you have in there?
Red oak, white oak, white birch, hickory, a bit of ash and something that was a b*tch to split! Even with the Fiskars. Very stringy. Hope it burns hot and was worth the effort!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Don, that was a lot of work for sure and the stacking looks good too. I've always thought that a load like that would be a quick and easy way to put up the winter's supply.

Nice work donmattingly. Good reasoning for the strong stacks. ;lol That must season very well like that. If you ever want to take a nice vacation to upstate New York I can surely have a nice pile ready to be c/s/s while you are here. You know, just so you don't go through withdrawels or anything like that. Hey, just trying to do you a favor.

Very nice

Red oak, white oak, white birch, hickory, a bit of ash and something that was a b*tch to split! Even with the Fiskars. Very stringy. Hope it burns hot and was worth the effort!

That was a mighty tall effort doing all that wood by hand. Hat's off to you sir;)
Nice selection of wood too!

I bet you are glad with finally being done, great sense if accomplishment. I am almost done with a big job I started in the summer, biggest I have done and its taking a long time.

Wow, I wish I could stack that nice. I'd be restacking them every few months!

Status
Not open for further replies.