The (not so) Super Pellet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killayaw

Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2010
WV
Check out what I found in a bag of Greene Teams the other day...

BAM.. super pellet. :bug: :lol:

*EDIT* NM...

killayaw said:
Check out what I found in a bag of Greene Teams the other day...

BAM.. super pellet. :bug: :lol:

There are pictures of bigger ones than that on here.

Booo.. thanks for killing the thunder!

The natures heat i bought had alot of pellets close to that size.

Anyone know how the enviro mini handles these long pellets? I've noticed that since switching to Greene Team that the feed rate is much more inconsistant. I wonder if that is due to the longer pellets.

Xena had about the longest pellet I have seen. Looked like a pencil!

Mini should do fine with that length. Friend burned Omalleys 2 seasons ago which had some over 3 inches. If not? There is a thread where someone made a shifter of sorts to catch the long ones. Then he broke them up and tossed them in the hopper. Basically a flat panel with 1/2 wire mess/screen to filter out the long ones. Seemed to work well as I recall. I'll try searching for it.

j-takeman said:
Now that's a super pellet!

Glad to hear the mini should do okay. Thanks.

j-takeman said:
What you need to do is quit peeking at Xena in the shower!

Had some AWF's that were approaching 3" last season.

2" is pretty big. I saved all of mine over 2.250" long and sent pics in an email to them. I was awarded with a gift card and was thanked for giving honest feedback. Without someone telling them they have a problem... They may never know?? If you get any more that size, save them and let them know. Even if its just an FYI email. Room for improvment. IMHO.

Also had some Easy Heats that had some plastic in them this year. Sent them a email just to let them know.. Pellets were very pretty. Shades of Blue, Red, Yellow, and Black.

I purchased two bags of penningtons that are 2" or longer. I had to open my feed wide open and they still have issues. I have one bag left that I am going to take some photos of and send to them. I thought I knew what a long pellet was... these are twice as long as anything else I have ever burned. I am glad I didn't buy a ton.

that is why I back the truck over all the bags before dumping into hopper

stoveguy2esw said:
as a manufacturer of stoves, it scares me seeing pellets this long. they cause jams

You folks have got to get with PFI and get the job done. PFI allows pellets to exceed 1.5 " provided less than 1% do so.

So a bit of agreement now or put pellet busters on the stoves.

SmokeyTheBear said:
stoveguy2esw said:
as a manufacturer of stoves, it scares me seeing pellets this long. they cause jams

You folks have got to get with PFI and get the job done. PFI allows pellets to exceed 1.5 " provided less than 1% do so.

So a bit of agreement now or put pellet busters on the stoves.

I thought the new spot checks were gonna help the end user. But really, I see better pellets without the PFI. Do we really need the label?? Probably just adds to the already high cost of pellets!

Status
Not open for further replies.