The OAK install begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CtPaul

Burning Hunk
Sep 16, 2011
CT
The weather ins't going to get any better so I figured I should get started. I trimmed the Harman extension and then had a friend tack weld the cap on. Drilled a couple of holes and put some screws in it too. Now I will caulk it and it will be ready for the roof tomorrow :rolleyes: Yeah!
Now onto the inside. I cleaned the stove. Scooped out the pellets. Then I took as much off it as possible (i.e. door,hopper lid ,etc) makes it much lighter. Then I put it on handtruck.
Thanks to everyone this forum I felt complelled to remove and clean the distribution blower, exhaust fan and a few others things:mad: Sometimes I really hate you guys!!_g:).

Next I'm going to see if I can get the OAK installed on the insert frame and the back of the stove. Then onto making a block off plate....woo hoo great fun. I know I won't get to it all tonight because I have to attend a board meeting tonight. I also can't leave the work area as is....or I might as well sleep at the meeting hall !!:eek: Lol.

Because I have been around long enough to know....without pics it didn't happen....

Attachments

• IMG_6378.JPG
    IMG_6378.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_6377.JPG
    IMG_6377.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_6376.JPG
    IMG_6376.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_6375.JPG
    IMG_6375.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_6374.JPG
    IMG_6374.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_6372.JPG
    IMG_6372.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_6373.JPG
    IMG_6373.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 371
Reactions: smoke show
Good job so far good luck why are you installing the oak now instead of summer time are you getting bad drafts in the house?

Good job so far good luck why are you installing the oak now instead of summer time are you getting bad drafts in the house?

Glen my house is about 100 yrs old and the wind whips off the lake in the winter...I always have drafts! I also don't know any better, once I get an idea and I think I can do it.;)

Brian that piece,the small hose and the lower left piece came with the harman inside OAKit I ordered. The larger hose and the aluminum adapter I picked up at store.

I installed the piece on the back of the stove...the rest will have to wait for tomorrow :)

Just because it happened :)

Attachments

• IMG_6388.JPG
    IMG_6388.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_6387.JPG
    IMG_6387.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_6385.JPG
    IMG_6385.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_6386.JPG
    IMG_6386.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_6384.JPG
    IMG_6384.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 282
I have the same stove and had it installed last year had a bad draft coming from my hall and bed rooms. was researching an OAK and was going to install it in the summer but i replaced the windows in my sons room and my daughters room plus added insulation to both walls and never got around to an oak this year i draft is gone so i was lucky. good luck with your install and let us know how it works out. I love this stove and it works great not to cold here.

Reactions: TreeCo
Ok looks like things are getting back on track. Yesterday the weather forecast was wrong but I moved forward anyway. I cut away the old caulk (all 2 tubes of it :eek:) and removed the old cap. Then I did the "leaf blower trick" and gave a quick brushing. Marked and drilled the holes to mount the new cap. Then I went to install it and realized I ddin't have enouch "slack " in the liner. :oops: What's that saying measure once...do it twice?!?! Anyway. So I was less than happy and running out of time. We had tickets to Disney on ice ...of course. :) So I screw the cap down (no sealant) and got off the roof. Then I get call from the wife...uumm have you looked at the radar? Doh!_g I scramble around looking for someething to cover chimney....I got it the pellet pallet bag.:) Back on the roof and wrap up the chimney then I came back down not in a very good mood!
Got in the car and took my twin 6yr old girls to the show and had a GREAT time :cool:.....chimney what chimney!
So picked up a couple things this am and hope to get back on the roof this afternoon ....Stand by!

Chimney cap in on...finished it while the rain started! :rolleyes: Installed the intake hose and cut in the block off plate. Tomorrow I will stuff chimney with Roxul and figure out how to fasten/seal the block off plate.

Here's the pics

Attachments

• IMG_6416.JPG
    IMG_6416.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_6408.JPG
    IMG_6408.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_6404.JPG
    IMG_6404.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_6402.JPG
    IMG_6402.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6400.JPG
    IMG_6400.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_6396.JPG
    IMG_6396.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6397.JPG
    IMG_6397.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_6395.JPG
    IMG_6395.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6393.JPG
    IMG_6393.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_6391.JPG
    IMG_6391.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: briansol
Holy crap! You gave it a lobotomy! A block off plate in that fieldstone chimney should be a real joy! Wow, what a project! I'm proud of you for your perseverance.

Beautiful view!

good job keep us posted

Thanks tj I decided to do it so I'm trying to do it right. I usually have a "can do" attitude! That helps out :) my kids will hate that phrase when they get a little older, haha!

Fmsm it is a beautiful spot on a wonderful lake....sometimes I need someone to remind me to stop and take a look! Thanks!

Glen I hope to get the stove back it in later today.

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out the best way to seal /fasten my block off plate.
My chimney is very irregular (old fieldstone ). I trimmed it as close as possible but there are still some decent gaps.
Ideas?
Drill a couple of holes and tapcon the plate in then stuff roxul in the gaps
A friend told me to use a little spray foam. Even though it won't be exposed to much heat I really don't like that idea.

Birdie, it is Lake Quassapaug

If you look up at reply#9 image 6404 you can see the largest gaps. Between the " pipes" and back wall of fireplace. 2-3 inches

We think alike! I use to camera to make sure I got the tight areas. It is easier to stick a small camera up there than trying to get my fat head in there to see ==c Even though I try to get it in there...as you can tell by the self pic. Maybe I can start sellin my pellet ash for a spa treatment! It sure made me beautiful!! ;lol
Does this pass inspection??!! (Sorry for all the pics but I love it when someone documents a project. So I'm trying to do my part)

Attachments

• IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_6436.JPG
    IMG_6436.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6435.JPG
    IMG_6435.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_6433.JPG
    IMG_6433.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_6434.JPG
    IMG_6434.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_6430.JPG
    IMG_6430.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: briansol
Block off plate is done!! ::-) Glad I'm only doing that once!

Now its time to clean up and put the stove back in the fireplace ...woohoo!:)
Hey Who took out all these tools!!!:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_6444.JPG
    IMG_6444.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_6443.JPG
    IMG_6443.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_6442.JPG
    IMG_6442.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_6440.JPG
    IMG_6440.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_6439.JPG
    IMG_6439.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 260
WE HAVE AN OPERATING OAK!! :) Now we need cold weather so I can test it out

Attachments

• IMG_6445.JPG
    IMG_6445.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 196
Err, the test is how well is the stove burning.

No real need to wait for the cold. Usually if an OAK isn't doing its primary job the flame will be lazy and the wrong color and size.

I take it you want to see if the drafts are as bad as they were.

Agreed Smokey. Flame seems to be great. The stove just kicked down and the flame is small but dancing away. So I'm pretty happy. When it's cold you can't miss the drafts in my house. I am working on sealing them up but the weather allowed me to install the OAK So now I'm curious how much it will help for now! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.