"The Official Show Off Your Hearth Thread"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firewoodguy, Man your set up makes me nervous. You have a lot of confidence in that piece of stone under the stove. I'd put a piece of steel under the stone. Just imagine if that stone breaks. I apologize if it is steel.
How many chainsaws do you have?

gzecc said:
Firewoodguy, Man your set up makes me nervous. You have a lot of confidence in that piece of stone under the stove. I'd put a piece of steel under the stone. Just imagine if that stone breaks.
How many chainsaws do you have?

I don't think it's stone.

fyrwoodguy said:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/SHOPWOODSTOVE.jpg
i love wood...

Awesome set up!

Woodstove2.jpg

The hearth is made of 4" thick stones mortared over top a 4" concrete pad on corrugated steel on 3" channel.

pgwisn said:

The hearth is made of 4" thick stones mortared over top a 4" concrete pad on corrugated steel on 3" channel.[/quote]

I love the look of those old Defiant Encores. I almost bought one. Looks very classy!

New Jotul F600 replacing an old Jotul #1. Wish the pics were a little better. I forgot to turn the flash on for the one with the two bums in front of the stove.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3622.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,477
  • IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2,491
  • IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,474
PineratPosted: 04 March 2010 11:19am
New Jotul F600 replacing an old Jotul #1. Wish the pics were a little better. I forgot to turn the flash on for the one with the two bums in front of the
Me likey the Jotuley!

$23 piece of brick paneling and 2 8 foot pieces of 1x4 pine with an imperial stove board and this is what you get

Attachments

• DCP_0151.jpg
    DCP_0151.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,177
  • DCP_0149.jpg
    DCP_0149.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,061
Kozyheat Z42 with pup and finished with mantle and tile

Attachments

• family time 011.jpg
    family time 011.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,158
  • ok_054.jpg
    ok_054.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,122
Hi Everyone:
This is pics of my vented fireplace upstairs and a pellet stove in the basement.
I had the dealers put the stove and fireplace in and my wife and I did the carpentry and tile work.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,955
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,952
Posted elsewhere, but couldn't resist. The large crescents are from a 7' diameter Douglas Fir. The holes at top and bottom are for a passive heat exchange with the adjoining room. The room side (still unfinished) will have cabinet doors to close the heat exchange and deaden sound transfer. It will also have two cabinets in the center section.

Attachments

• 2ndhearth-high.jpg
    2ndhearth-high.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,001
Bill_in_CV said:
Posted elsewhere, but couldn't resist. The large crescents are from a 7' diameter Douglas Fir. The holes at top and bottom are for a passive heat exchange with the adjoining room. The room side (still unfinished) will have cabinet doors to close the heat exchange and deaden sound transfer. It will also have two cabinets in the center section.
I love the woodwork! Great job.

brick on the wall, hey teacher leave those kids alone.

Well, now I know who won the booby prise for the uglyest & most rusty stove.

And that would be me!

I don't care because its in a dark & dingy basement & suits its surroundings well & throws fair to good heat, so i am happy enough.

I don't need a stove so pretty that makes my tv set look ugly.

All I need is a stove that does the job.

I'm not going to show youall a picture because you neat freaks would probably be in shock for a week,if not longer.

I am begining to get bumed out now. Even bv's cinder block basement looks 10 times better than mine & his stove is not even rusty looking any!

I guess I'm going to have to start looking at redneck hillbilly pictures from the poorest part of appleachia, may be some one that converted a 55 gal oil drum into a stove , to find something uglier than mine.

You guys kill me.

All that you have to do in your life is custom design beautiful rooms with jem
stones surrounding the most pretty and most expensive stoves that you can find.

I wouldnt be suprised if one of you had a solid gold stove ,just for show, that you couldnt even build a fire in because it would melt at low tempuratures!!!

Some of those set ups , you might as well burn one dollar bills in the stove to keep warm, it would be cheaper!

eernest4 said:
I'm not going to show youall a picture because you neat freaks would probably be in shock for a week,if not longer.

You guys kill me.

I wouldnt be suprised if one of you had a solid gold stove ,just for show, that you couldnt even build a fire in because it would melt at low tempuratures!!!

Some of those set ups , you might as well burn one dollar bills in the stove to keep warm, it would be cheaper!

Jeez. Take it easy bud. You dont got to bash the rest of us because you're embarrassed by your setup.. why'd you even post here?

eernest4 said:

And that would be me!

I don't care because its in a dark & dingy basement & suits its surroundings well & throws fair to good heat, so i am happy enough.

I am begining to get bumed out now. Even bv's cinder block basement looks 10 times better than mine & his stove is not even rusty looking any!

I guess I'm going to have to start looking at redneck hillbilly pictures from the poorest part of appleachia, may be some one that converted a 55 gal oil drum into a stove , to find something uglier than mine.

You guys kill me.

I can only assume you're just having some fun and being funny, rather than being a Negative Nancy Eernest4.

If not, you need to relax a bit, sit back and throw another log on the fire so to speak and enjoy what you have, not what you don't have . . . not everyone here is fantastically wealthy . . . in fact I would wager the majority of us are a lot like you . . . working slobs who work hard during the week at our 9 to 5 job and then work hard on the weekend cutting wood or working around the house . . . what most of us have in our homes is not due to our fantastic acumen when it comes to picking stocks or that we lucked out and were born with a silver spoon in our mouth, but rather many of us have what we have because we have been working . . . and working for some time.

Not everyone has the fanciest stove . . . and that's OK . . . many of us started out with less fancy stoves and got fancier, prettier ones as time allowed and as we began to pay off more bills . . . and some of us choose to stick with our old, plain Jane stoves . . . regardless of what stove you have, there are only two important things . . . 1) Is it safe to use in your home? and 2) Is it keeping you warm?

As for the hearth and the custom designed rooms . . . well I've been in my house now for close to 14 years . . . and I'm still puttering away at it . . . renovating a room at a time when time, money and my will-power allow . . . some rooms look great in my opinion (I love my master bedroom), some rooms look terrible (the kitchen definitely needs to be re-done as it has a pink laminate counter and home-made cupboards) and some rooms are in the process of being re-done (the living room still needs trim and my hallway and dining room still have sheetrock up.)

I suspect that most of us are in the same boat . . . we don't have our own construction crew . . . or the money . . . to renovate these rooms . . . and so what we have is due to our hard work over time or is due to the fact that we saved and paid someone to do the work . . . in both cases it was done slowly, over time . . . and so while you may see one shot from a room and think the whole place must look like that . . . the truth is . . . for many of us, it's not the case . . . or if it is, it wasn't always like that and is only that way today after several years of work.

As for having nice and neat photos . . . well that's only natural . . . I'm no clean freak, but by gory, before I take a picture of my stove or hearth and post it on hearth.com for all of the members to see I'll take a few minutes to sweep up the spilled ash, woodchips and clean the haze off the glass . . . just like I would take a few minutes to brush my teeth and comb my hair if I was having a picture taken of me . . . normally I may look like a slob, hair askew, glasses smudged and shirt untucked . . . but it's only natural to pretty things up a bit if you're taking a picture.

So relax Eernest . . . in time things will change and things will improve with work . . . and there is no shame in having a safe, warm woodstove.

eernest4 said:

And that would be me!

You guys kill me.

Plain and simple, it's about keeping your family warm old stove or new stove. The one thing thats the same in every picture is the heat. :)

Stay Warm
Zap

Here's ours - just finished on thw w/e. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out - still have to paint the steel under the granite.

Still keeping a little fire going to take the chill off - temps keep dropping over night to -2 / -4 here.

Attachments

• installed2.jpg
    installed2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,804
firefighterjake said:
eernest4 said:

And that would be me!

You guys kill me.

I can only assume you're just having some fun and being funny, rather than being a Negative Nancy Eernest4.

If not, you need to relax a bit, sit back and throw another log on the fire so to speak and enjoy what you have, not what you don't have . . . not everyone here is fantastically wealthy . . . in fact I would wager the majority of us are a lot like you . . . working slobs who work hard during the week at our 9 to 5 job and then work hard on the weekend cutting wood or working around the house . . . what most of us have in our homes is not due to our fantastic acumen when it comes to picking stocks or that we lucked out and were born with a silver spoon in our mouth, but rather many of us have what we have because we have been working . . . and working for some time.

Not everyone has the fanciest stove . . . and that's OK . . . many of us started out with less fancy stoves and got fancier, prettier ones as time allowed and as we began to pay off more bills . . . and some of us choose to stick with our old, plain Jane stoves . . . regardless of what stove you have, there are only two important things . . . 1) Is it safe to use in your home? and 2) Is it keeping you warm?

As for the hearth and the custom designed rooms . . . well I've been in my house now for close to 14 years . . . and I'm still puttering away at it . . . renovating a room at a time when time, money and my will-power allow . . . some rooms look great in my opinion (I love my master bedroom), some rooms look terrible (the kitchen definitely needs to be re-done as it has a pink laminate counter and home-made cupboards) and some rooms are in the process of being re-done (the living room still needs trim and my hallway and dining room still have sheetrock up.)

I suspect that most of us are in the same boat . . . we don't have our own construction crew . . . or the money . . . to renovate these rooms . . . and so what we have is due to our hard work over time or is due to the fact that we saved and paid someone to do the work . . . in both cases it was done slowly, over time . . . and so while you may see one shot from a room and think the whole place must look like that . . . the truth is . . . for many of us, it's not the case . . . or if it is, it wasn't always like that and is only that way today after several years of work.

As for having nice and neat photos . . . well that's only natural . . . I'm no clean freak, but by gory, before I take a picture of my stove or hearth and post it on hearth.com for all of the members to see I'll take a few minutes to sweep up the spilled ash, woodchips and clean the haze off the glass . . . just like I would take a few minutes to brush my teeth and comb my hair if I was having a picture taken of me . . . normally I may look like a slob, hair askew, glasses smudged and shirt untucked . . . but it's only natural to pretty things up a bit if you're taking a picture.

So relax Eernest . . . in time things will change and things will improve with work . . . and there is no shame in having a safe, warm woodstove.

Well said,

Eernest, just post up a pic, im pretty sure no one will bash your setup as long as it doesnt look like it will burn your house down and kill your family.

You're looking at a fire in a masonry heater throwing about a 15' flame, only partially seen in the bake oven.

No, now is not the time to bake cookies...

Aye,
Marty

Attachments

• TEMPCAST 2000.jpg
    TEMPCAST 2000.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,872
Marty S said:
You're looking at a fire in a masonry heater throwing about a 15' flame, only partially seen in the bake oven.

No, now is not the time to bake cookies...

Aye,
Marty

Hows the pizza taste cooked in there?

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.