"The Official Show Off Your Hearth Thread"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don2222 said:
Hello

Here are my 3.

1. Our LivingRoom Heat N Glow SL-550-TRS-D LP Gas Fireplace

2. Our Travis Avalon Astoria Wood Pellet Stove in our Basement

3. Our Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 FS Wood Pellet Stove in our shed

Wow, Don:

A man after my own heart - heating redundancy!
Do you live rural or will they let all that stuff burn in a NH city?

And, 2 CLEAN burning pellet stoves. Nothin' burns cleaner
than a pellet stove, according to web propaganda.
But TWO pellet stoves with 3 tons of pellets for the winter!
I'm on my 6th heating season with my original order of 3 tons
of anthracite for my basement wood/coal burner (above).

You're probly close to the cost of a masonry heater with those 3 stoves.
Ever price it out?
Is maintenance on those pellet stoves a headache?

Aye,
Marty
Grandpa used to say,
"It's better to have 2 of #1s,
than 1 of #2s."

Was going to set this up with 2 45's but while i had it setup with just the flex i was getting to much draft so i went with 2 90's and that gave me more control with the damper

Attachments

• 141 POSSUM CT.jpg
    141 POSSUM CT.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 920
Reactions: ScotO
It looks really tucked in there, but the photo may be deceiving. I am wondering how much heat is trapped above the stove. How has the heating been? What are the clearances to the wood from the singlewall pipe?

it is a good sized space. There might be some heat trapped up in the top but we have a fan on the stove and use a small fan pointed up to blow air out since we are heating the the floor above. It will keep a 1749sq log house in the high 60's when its in the teens/twenties. We haven't pushed it real hard, its a vacation home so we are there on weekends and have baseboard heat.

I have about 16in from the pipe to the wood trim, it covers a steel I-beam on the outside. I am working on a heat shield. With a IR thermometer the wood gets to about 90=92 degrees when the stoves is running a lot.

you might not be able to tell but the T is in the back corner of the alcove and the horizontal run angles back away from the front so there is only a small section of pipe that nears the beam.

Good to hear you are working on shielding. It looks like there is tons of hearth to play with, so I'd also consider lowering the tee a bit more so that the outlet can rotate forward and the stove moved more into the room and out of the cave.

Marty S said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

Here are my 3.

Wow, Don:

Ever price it out?

Aye,
Marty
Grandpa used to say,
than 1 of #2s."

Hi Marty

I live just over the State Line north of MA (Taxachuesetts) Since there is no Sales Tax in NH, here in our town of Salem NH Pop 30,000 has every store you would ever want!

3 Tons @ $200 per ton or $600 for the winter is alot cheaper than $3,000 for oil that my neighbors pay!!

Nothing burns cleaner than the zero clearance LP gas and wood pellet stoves! pellets do not have tree bark!
The pellet stove in the shed was paid for by refurbishing and selling 2 others! I refurbished the shed one also!
So I got it pretty cheap! It must use a T-Stat to work. So I put in a T-Stat in the shed and a toggle Switch in the house to turn the T-Stat on!! Luckily I had 2 wires that I did not used when I wired the shed!

Anyway being a man of convienence (Even though it was alot of work to do this!) I flip the switch in the house and look out the kitchen window thru the shed window to assure the fire started and then just keep an eye on the wireless remote thermometer to see when the shed is comfortable to go work in!! see pics below!!

Right now it is 37 Deg F in the shed, I guess I will eat supper before I go out there!!!

Attachments

• TRHShedPS380sc.jpg
    TRHShedPS380sc.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 812
  • TRHShedPS400RemoteHeatSC.jpg
    TRHShedPS400RemoteHeatSC.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 796
Don2222 said:
Marty S said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

Here are my 3.

Wow, Don:

Ever price it out?

Aye,
Marty
Grandpa used to say,
than 1 of #2s."

Hi Marty

I live just over the State Line north of MA (Taxachuesetts) Since there is no Sales Tax in NH, here in our town of Salem NH Pop 30,000 has every store you would ever want!

3 Tons @ $200 per ton or $600 for the winter is alot cheaper than $3,000 for oil that my neighbors pay!!

Nothing burns cleaner than the zero clearance LP gas and wood pellet stoves! pellets do not have tree bark!
The pellet stove in the shed was paid for by refurbishing and selling 2 others! I refurbished the shed one also!
So I got it pretty cheap! It must use a T-Stat to work. So I put in a T-Stat in the shed and a toggle Switch in the house to turn the T-Stat on!! Luckily I had 2 wires that I did not used when I wired the shed!

Anyway being a man of convienence (Even though it was alot of work to do this!) I flip the switch in the house and look out the kitchen window thru the shed window to assure the fire started and then just keep an eye on the wireless remote thermometer to see when the shed is comfortable to go work in!! see pics below!!

Right now it is 37 Deg F in the shed, I guess I will eat supper before I go out there!!!

Love that MOC!

If I had to flip all those switches
to get heat, I'd freeze only after
being SOL.
Power outages explain my
KISS heating redundancy living
here in the boonies. And, I'd
have it no other way.

Aye,
Marty

Shown left to right,the Queen,aka,wife,the Princess ,aka daughter,and last but not least the King.

Attachments

• Birthday 009-1.jpg
    Birthday 009-1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,005
I don't see a hearth :)

kingquad said:
I don't see a hearth :)

Now do you see it? (Is this helpful? LOL)

Attachments

• Birthday_009-1scacrop.jpg
    Birthday_009-1scacrop.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 622
Napoleon 1402 installed 10/2011. in lower level of raised ranch. Kinda the "man room" We usually have wood stacked between the hearth and fire hydrant, just to hide the wires. Would LOVE to get a 8 inch piece of reclaimed barn wood for the mantel!!

Attachments

• IMG_3570.jpg
    IMG_3570.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_3682.jpg
    IMG_3682.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 683
Yes I like the old mantel better. The 'ol lady said to paint it, and i woke up the next morning and looked at it, and just said "ugh". I'm in the process of trying to find a nice 8"x8" square piece of reclaimed barnwood, or something thats old and weathered to put there.

The first pic is the VC Montpelier in the living room with a warm, happy, old cat.

The other is a 1969 Godin wood/coal in the family room downstairs.

The Montpelier burns 24/7 from Thanksgiving to March. The Godin burns wood for short cold spells and coal for extended freezes. I’ve only lit it 3 times so far this season.

KaptJaq

Attachments

• IMG_5436_a1.jpg
    IMG_5436_a1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_5455_a1.jpg
    IMG_5455_a1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 627
Suppose I should updated this thread with the hearth in my current house.

20120816_202623 (Small).jpg
20121226_182830 (Small).jpg
I

Reactions: ScotO and milleo
i love your dog shaped rug Cold...is so "lifelike".

Reactions: ScotO and ColdNH
Here's ours at Christmas -
PC160012.JPG

And one hot cat -

Photo0095.jpg

Reactions: ColdNH and ScotO
Well since somebody resurrected this thread, I may as well add mine.......

Our Napoleon 1900p in the kitchen. This is our primary house heater, heats the entire house (sans the living room) like you can't imagine.....

2012-09-22_17-00-51_464.jpg

Here's the Napoleon NZ3000 I recently finished up in our living room. This baby REALLY cranks out the heat, but this room is still sealed off from the main house as we are in the final stages of a complete transformation of that space. I'm anxious to get some REALLY cold weather here in a couple of weeks when I take out the wall seperating that room from the rest of the house to see how these stoves perform in concert with one another.....

2012-12-24_12-30-24_987.jpg

2012-12-24_12-30-48_938.jpg

By the way, lots of beautiful hearths in this thread, guys and gals! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Fantastic!

Shown left to right,the Queen,aka,wife,the Princess ,aka daughter,and last but not least the King.
I gotta ask, ohlongarm.......are you considered the "Joker" in that house of cards?;)
Beautiful ladies in that pic....OH and the hearth looks fantastic, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.