The old "I wouldn't burn that in my house" thread...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Gotta resurrect this thread after seeing these cabins on Instagram from the builder's page...so yes, these are real...

20180204_192843.png
20180204_192918.png

This fella, a travelling musician by the name of John Burn, pulled up to my shop in this beautiful beast of a motor-home to purchase some bundles of nice dry firewood to keep himself warm as he made his way cross this great country of Canada. He kindly left me a copy of his latest CD, "Season for Dreaming." Quite nice listening music; I plays it whilst I'm up in the shop making up bundles.... :)

Attachments

• House on Wheels 1.jpg
    House on Wheels 1.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 321
  • House on Wheels 2.jpg
    House on Wheels 2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: Ashful and Knots
I tried to find the True North advertising pic with the stove pipe ending before the ceiling, but it appears they've changed it.

This fella, a travelling musician by the name of John Burn, pulled up to my shop in this beautiful beast of a motor-home to purchase some bundles of nice dry firewood to keep himself warm as he made his way cross this great country of Canada. He kindly left me a copy of his latest CD, "Season for Dreaming." Quite nice listening music; I plays it whilst I'm up in the shop making up bundles.... :)
That's pretty crazy! I admire some peoples ability to live on their own terms.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Looks like the stove called shotgun.

That's so cool. I would build that.

This fella, a travelling musician by the name of John Burn, pulled up to my shop in this beautiful beast of a motor-home to purchase some bundles of nice dry firewood to keep himself warm as he made his way cross this great country of Canada.
That's what I'm talking about, although the one I saw in AK was not so nicely constructed...

Yikes!!! :eek: Is this in a tent?
Yes, it's a Russian stainless steel stove and they ran it every night like this. When it's -30º outside you do what needs to be done to keep warm.

Wow, that looks like it was designed to create maximum creosote. Do they sell it by the pound?

Reactions: Marshy
There's an episode of Ma & Pa Kettle with that exact stove pipe arrangement, but it's inside the house. It's supposed to be a joke. Someone didn't get the message...

There's an episode of Ma & Pa Kettle with that exact stove pipe arrangement, but it's inside the house. It's supposed to be a joke. Someone didn't get the message...
It wasn't that uncommon back then. The stove worked best when in the middle of the room and sometimes that meant a long stove pipe. And some folks just wanted to get every last bit of heat from the fire. Of course that turned the pipe into a creosote factory and it was not uncommon to have to clean the pipe very frequently which was a dirty messy job.

1200px-Fouday-Poêle.jpg 92cb52cd4fa7188de7a77df640e6078e--wood-stoves-general-store.jpg the-stove-store-photo-of-an-old-general-store-stove-store-and-more.jpg

Last edited:
And sometimes we see them in the modern world.
long pipe.jpg

Yikes! Hard to believe people thought those were a good idea. That last one could at least use a support mid-ways. That's a lot of unsupported weight.

It wasn't that uncommon back then. The stove worked best when in the middle of the room and sometimes that meant a long stove pipe. And some folks just wanted to get every last bit of heat from the fire. Of course that turned the pipe into a creosote factory and it was not uncommon to have to clean the pipe very frequently which was a dirty messy job.

View attachment 222988 View attachment 222989 View attachment 222990

Those are all coal stoves.
So creosote is a non issue assuming they are burning coal, which I would.

Initial draft would be a bit of a problem but once the coal stove was going you can literally keep it going for the whole heating season without shutting down once.

Initial draft would be a bit of a problem but once the coal stove was going you can literally keep it going for the whole heating season without shutting down once.
No those long horozintal runs would fill up with fly ash atleast a couple times a year. We still have a few setups like that around here mostly in a mish or mennonite stores or schools. And they usually drop the pipe monthly.

Here's one for you . . . Center Baptist Church in nearby Thorndike, Maine. They typically have one or two services a year here . . . usually in the warmer months so I suspect the stove is no longer used.

Attachments

• CenterBaptist.jpg
    CenterBaptist.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 204
No those long horozintal runs would fill up with fly ash atleast a couple times a year. We still have a few setups like that around here mostly in a mish or mennonite stores or schools. And they usually drop the pipe monthly.

Agreed they will build up fly ash. How often they have to shut down certainly depends on how radical the pipe setup is. But you can keep a coal stove going 24/7 all winter if you have a chimney system with minimal horizontals. (mine had no horizontals, just one 45 that was 3 feet long.)

And I am not advocating for such a setup at all.

Agreed they will build up fly ash. How often they have to shut down certainly depends on how radical the pipe setup is. But you can keep a coal stove going 24/7 all winter if you have a chimney system with minimal horizontals. (mine had no horizontals, just one 45 that was 3 feet long.)

And I am not advocating for such a setup at all.
Yeah absolutly I typically keep my wood stove going 24/7 all winter with no problems as well. The only reason it goes out is if we go away for more than the day.

Probably, these were just the images I could find quickly on the internet. Many of these places had no access to coal, but had a plentiful supply of wood. That's what a lot of those store heaters burned. Several years back there was a link to a story about a country store with a long horizontal stove pipe. They had to clean it weekly IIRC and when they didn't and the pipe clogged up, the store would start filling up with smoke. That led to a bit of drama in the store as they chucked burning wood out of the stove.

Probably, these were just the images I could find quickly on the internet. Many of these places had no access to coal, but had a plentiful supply of wood. That's what a lot of those store heaters burned. Several years back there was a link to a story about a country store with a long horizontal stove pipe. They had to clean it weekly IIRC and when they didn't and the pipe clogged up, the store would start filling up with smoke. That led to a bit of drama in the store as they chucked burning wood out of the stove.

Anthracite would be tough to find anywhere near the west coast. But I am a little surprised if you cant find Bituminous coal out there.

Bituminous is soft, stinky coal though. I would never want to burn it in a house, though its been done for hundreds of years and there is a right way to do it without any smell in the house.

Its used for more blacksmithing and steam power.