The old "I wouldn't burn that in my house" thread...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You have to remember we're talking the 1800's here. Transportation was slow and costly to many areas. Many locations had no rail transport. Wood was local and plentiful. Some railroads even ran on it.

Anthracite would be tough to find anywhere near the west coast. But I am a little surprised if you cant find Bituminous coal out there.

Bituminous is soft, stinky coal though. I would never want to burn it in a house, though its been done for hundreds of years and there is a right way to do it without any smell in the house.

Its used for more blacksmithing and steam power.
Coal is also much more dangerous if it does loose draft either from being blocked of low temps. Wood you will know right away coal you may not. And you may just get tiered and go to sleep.

Coal is also much more dangerous if it does loose draft either from being blocked of low temps. Wood you will know right away coal you may not. And you may just get tiered and go to sleep.
This can happen with a wood fire too if the screen is plugged and the draft is lazy and reverses at the coaling stage. It's why having a proper functioning CO alarm is important.
This is from a story by the editor of Outdoor Life.
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.59.00 AM.png

This can happen with a wood fire too if the screen is plugged and the draft is lazy and reverses at the coaling stage. It's why having a proper functioning CO alarm is important.
This is from a story I read a while ago.
View attachment 223060
Yes absolutly it can but typically with wood people notice because of the smoke. Anthracite has no visible smoke and many people dont notice the smell.

Yes, I'm sure you see and read about that a lot more than we do out here.

I
Yes, I'm sure you see and read about that a lot more than we do out here.
it is getting to be more common from high efficency gas furnaces if the pvc vent isnt run up high enough

Yes absolutly it can but typically with wood people notice because of the smoke. Anthracite has no visible smoke and many people dont notice the smell.

When I ran a coal stove in my last house, I cant figure out a single reason why it would lose draft.
Ash buildup in a horizontal pipe would do it but....most of us know not to do that.

When I ran a coal stove in my last house, I cant figure out a single reason why it would lose draft.
Ash buildup in a horizontal pipe would do it but....most of us know not to do that.
There are many many reasons it could and does happen.

Yikes! Hard to believe people thought those were a good idea. That last one could at least use a support mid-ways. That's a lot of unsupported weight.
Nah, the hot flue gas it lighter than air. It'll hold the pipe up. Lol

Reactions: Knots
I realize some wont agree but I know of many folks who want a long interior pipe to increase the heat sent into the room. The stove in that church appears to be old wide open stove that couldnt be damped down if tried. Its heating a huge space so when lit its probably running at full bore. The church is probably not insulated so the long interior pipe probably provides radiant heat to the congregants as I expect the actual space never really warms up. Since the stove is run full bore, creosote is much less of an issue as the stove is probably running quit hot with plenty of air.

My old junior high school was built in the late 1800s, it had a large masonry fireplace on one end of the room that hooked to an iron pipe that ran roughly horizontal about 30 feet before it tied into vertical chimney.

My mother grew up on a farm in Quebec. It was 2 story building with unlined chimney, they could see the flames through the cracks and they expected a couple of chimney fires a year.

Different methods for different times.

Last edited:
Different methods for different times.

No argument there.
Its common to see setups like that in old buildings that are left original or are restored to look original for show purposes.

There are many many reasons it could and does happen.

Do tell. I am always willing to be educated.
My chimney was triple insulated stainless Simpson Duravent. It started from the floor joists in the basement as you see here:
DSCF0117.JPG

And then went straight up through the house and exited here:

Dec19_0005.jpg

From what I can tell, aside from that slight 45 degree angle coming off the coal stove I cant see how I would ever lose draft. I had the pipe that high off the house because wind coming over the roof would hit the chimney and momentarily reverse the flow. Once I added another section and made it this high, that never happened.
I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do tell. I am always willing to be educated.
My chimney was triple insulated stainless Simpson Duravent. It started from the floor joists in the basement as you see here:View attachment 223099

And then went straight up through the house and exited here:

View attachment 223100

From what I can tell, aside from that slight 45 degree angle coming off the coal stove I cant see how I would ever lose draft. I had the pipe that high off the house because wind coming over the roof would hit the chimney and momentarily reverse the flow. Once I added another section and made it this high, that never happened.
I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know.
Atmospheric conditions, negative pressures in the house, low fire in the stove and warm temps outside, wind conditions, we have seen trees fall on caps screens get iced up screens get clogged with fly ash and i am sure there are other things i am not thinking of. That is why co detectors are so important for anyone with any combustion source in their house. Yes if it is set up right it should not happen but even then unecpected things can happen.

Yea I guess a tree would have been possible if one were close enough.
That chimney setup worked better than any I've ever seen. Its followed closely by the current one I have in my cape style house. That one is 20' tall. I never get smoke in my house from my wood stove insert unless you whip the door open quickly and even then its just a small puff.
I get completely baffled when I see chimney setups with long horizontals and such. And I do see that in friends houses. I try to be nice about it though, I've told them a few times what not to do yet I continue to see it anyways. Then I hear later down the road their house fills up with smoke...
I did have a co2 detector so that was covered.
The ones in my new house are combination smoke/co2.

While on the subject, it’s never a bad time to remind folks that CO detectors are generally only rated for 7 years. If your CO detector is older than 7 years, it’s likely time to replace it.

Reactions: Woody5506
While on the subject, it’s never a bad time to remind folks that CO detectors are generally only rated for 7 years. If your CO detector is older than 7 years, it’s likely time to replace it.

Actually it depends on the manufacturer . . . I've seen some with a recommended change out date as early as 3 years, a few at 5 years and some at 7 years.

Actually it depends on the manufacturer . . . I've seen some with a recommended change out date as early as 3 years, a few at 5 years and some at 7 years.

Wow... can’t believe it’s even legal to sell a detector with a 3 year rated life. Most folks don’t even check their batteries, that often.

Wow... can’t believe it’s even legal to sell a detector with a 3 year rated life. Most folks don’t even check their batteries, that often.

I agree . . . I personally think there should be a standard of at least five to seven years.

Saw this today on Main Street. Wondering how long it will take to either...
1-be cause for a 3-Alram fire
2-get shut down by Inspector or
3-meet the owner on this forum

Love how the siding is turning brown...

Attachments

• 73952A43-10B2-4689-85B2-91500367B7B2.jpeg
    73952A43-10B2-4689-85B2-91500367B7B2.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 188
  • B4F0D015-2A1E-4282-A198-8315B30CE211.jpeg
    B4F0D015-2A1E-4282-A198-8315B30CE211.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 150
Wonder what is inside connected to that shorty?

Saw this today on Main Street. Wondering how long it will take to either...
1-be cause for a 3-Alram fire
2-get shut down by Inspector or
3-meet the owner on this forum

Love how the siding is turning brown...

In all reality the house will probably not burn down. The smoke is probably not anywhere near hot enough to ignite anything by the time it reaches the siding. Im not saying theres no way it can happen, Im saying its probably not likely.
Also, I don't think town inspectors have the right to barge in your house and shut down your wood stove. The only real authority I know of that towns and/or police have regarding wood stoves is if your stove belches out so much smoke that the neighboring house can reasonably consider that a nuisance. And that kind of stuff certainly varies by region.
The whole purpose and point to the inspector is to ensure proper install so that some day the next home owner can rest assure that things are to code.

Also, I don't think town inspectors have the right to barge in your house and shut down your wood stove.

Even if they could, you have the right to make them leave your property. Shortly after I moved into my house about a year ago, and after my stove was installed (without a town permit...GASP) as well as other interior improvements we had done, the town assessor ironically and casually dropped by during the day in hopes of being able to do an interior assessment of my house. My wife and I were at work, so a note was left on the door letting me know to call their office to set up a time to have this done. That request was thrown in the garbage and I've heard nothing since.