The old "I wouldn't burn that in my house" thread...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Had to share. There's so many things wrong with this one...well....you be the judge.

If you have any epic pics in the same realm of "No...they really didn't do THAT...did they?" please post 'em up

Can you beat this one?
25994584_1287271114752259_8787906333859956949_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t beat this picture it’s very cool right up my alley! Tell us more about the install

Reactions: moresnow
Looks like a real boom arm, so a flue going into a steel box that thick, stove in a bucket that thick steel, might be one of the safest installs yet. Crank that baby up and get that bucket nice and real warm and it will heat the house for hours after the fire goes out. Plus it looks real cool. They even put a clean out point on the bend. That is awesome!!!

Reactions: Rich L
I'm adding that to the list of ultra-cool stoves/fireplaces that I'd like to have along with these two:

FireMouth.jpg VerneStove.jpg

Reactions: savageactor7
I dont nessecarily see anything wrong with the install. It all depends what is inside that arm.

I like that! The hearth is a big steel bucket, I'd like to have an install like that.
Only thing, the girlfriend would not like.

Reactions: fespo
Not my taste but i have to admit it is cool

Hopefully there is a liner, or you're looking for lots of buildup with a flue that is going to be pretty cold because of its mass.

Still..super cool.

Hopefully there is a liner, or you're looking for lots of buildup with a flue that is going to be pretty cold because of its mass.

Still..super cool.
Yes and heat transfer through to combustibles would be a big danger. Hopefully there is class a inside. A liner even insulated would not be enough.

That is awesome.

I hope that room is on a slab and not on a lolly column. :p

I couldn't have the flue that way though, because I can't look at it without being bothered that someone decided to put 2 elbows in the pipe for cosmetic reasons.

Reactions: becasunshine
I don't think that awesome bucketstove belongs in the 'WTF' category (except for the flue), so here's a couple WTFstoves courtesy of the internets:

CoyDSOiWcAAds1v.jpeg HALL 7.jpg

I am pleased to note that the second one appears to be burning in the photo.

I don't think that awesome bucketstove belongs in the 'WTF' category (except for the flue), so here's a couple WTFstoves courtesy of the internets:

View attachment 219838 View attachment 219839

I am pleased to note that the second one appears to be burning in the photo.
I think the XMas lights are a nice touch but I can't figure out if the fascia is nailed off to the tele pole or why.

Don't know what the stove looks like(I can only imagine) but that is one funky chimney!
chim (Large).jpg

I was in Alaska in the early '90s and we saw a '57 Chevy 1-ton truck coming at us with a what can only be described as a small cabin built on the back. The cabin bulged out wider than the cab on each side and the shingled roof was higher than the cab. The pavement was uneven and the whole contraption was swaying and wobbling down the road. I noticed a steel chimney coming through the roof, and sure enough, there was smoke coming out...

I was in Alaska in the early '90s and we saw a '57 Chevy 1-ton truck coming at us with a what can only be described as a small cabin built on the back. The cabin bulged out wider than the cab on each side and the shingled roof was higher than the cab. The pavement was uneven and the whole contraption was swaying and wobbling down the road. I noticed a steel chimney coming through the roof, and sure enough, there was smoke coming out...
Huh.

truck-bed-camper-for-sale-casual-turtle-02.jpg

I guess that's a thing!

I guess that's a thing!

Yeah - it was like that only twice the proportions, permanently installed, and it looked like (non-carpenter) I built it with the dregs of a demo'd house...

There is video out there of a couple of old time mainers with some beat up snowmachines working in the woods in very cold weather. The seat was off the sled and they had metal box on the back of the sled that they had a fire in it while they were driving the sled around.

Reactions: mountain man 2
There's videos on youtube of trucks in Siberia with wood stoves in the cab! Seems like the vodka might catch fire.

And then there's:
069 wood gas truck 1 truck on the road.jpg

Reactions: mountain man 2