The "pick Joful's new stove" thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could almost pull them home on a wagon, too! BrowningBAR and I are very close to one another.

Got an appointment to go see an Ashford in person, and talk numbers with a dealer. Trouble is, now that I'm taking some accurate measurements, it appears there's some impossible clearance issues with the Ashford. I cannot meet the vertical clearance requirement of 37", with regard to my timber lintel.

Ask BK about shielding the timber lintel.

I asked Chris, and his response was, "this stove was not tested for reduced clearances." I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but assume it means a shield ain't going to cut down their required 37" vertical.

I asked Chris, and his response was, "this stove was not tested for reduced clearances." I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but assume it means a shield ain't going to cut down their required 37" vertical.

It means he doesn't know because it hasn't been tested that way. How much vertical have you got, total, from floor to lintel?

Den (old kitchen) fireplace, in main part of house: 29" if I pull the stove far forward. I could get 31" if I slide the stove back a bit farther, as it would get me out from under the door casing. This fireplace is only 3 feet deep, with the lintel 9" deep, so it would not be possible to slide the Ashford back to the point where it's not under the lintel.

Family room (old summer kitchen) fireplace in new wing: 21" if I pull the stove far forward. This fireplace is 4' deep, so it would be possible to slide the stove back to where it's out from under the lintel, as I have my Jotul sitting now.

I'll have to pull out the plumb bob tomorrow, as it might be possible (fractions of an inch, here) to actually get the Ashford 30 back far enough to where I have 37" to the lintel, as there is a large bevel on underside of lintel. Trouble is, then it will be slammed against the back wall of the fireplace, something that's apparently not the best for the thermostatic control functionality. Definitely no room for a blower, if I do that!

Didn't mean to sound like a Richard in previous post.

Pragmatic questions from someone not on the payroll at BK:

1. What is the required vertical clearance on your old Firelights?

2. Do you have that much?

3. Have you damaged your house running this way?

4. How much of the lintel is stone v- how much is wood?

I think you want the blowers.

f/u top above, is any stove, regardless of aesthetics going to meet clearance in there?

There's some fuzzy math here or they've changed specs. The manual is calling for 72" clearance from floor to combustible. With a stove top height of 31 3/4" would leave you with 40 1/4" to work with.

Just an idea.

Whaddya think about restoring your fireplaces to their antebellum aesthetic glory and installing modern woodstoves out in the open on your floor plan?

The chimneys wouldn't look right I don't reckon, and chimney chases through the upper floors would be both problematic and expensive. But a maybe while you are at this fork.

If I had a factory original numbers matching 1967 Mustang and I wanted AC really bad I would look into buying period correct dealer add-on AC, but I am not sure I would actually do it.

Just to bring some closure to this thread, I ordered two new Ashford 30's in Midnight Semigloss enamel yesterday. Both will have blowers.

Now about selling off my small fleet of Jotuls...

Looks like a wrap. Crank up one with lotsa pics when you get those heating beauties.

Status
Not open for further replies.