The ranger isn't handling...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
...like its normal Porsche-like self (ha). That was a lot of work in 75' heat this morning, in mid feb. Sheesh.
tmp_5770-IMG_20170212_113845349166389.jpg

Split an oak tree up yesterday and when the eldest child went to throw my clothes in the washer [her turn to do laundry], she asked, "What were you doing because your clothes were so wet?" I told her, "That was sweat." EEEEEeeeeeewwww!!" was her response. ;lol

Last edited:
Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Yup. Got my first sunburn and near heat stroke of the year yesterday clearing some fallen trees out of our creek. I also pulled three ticks off me at the end of the day. What do you all think: are we done with winter or is March going to get cold again?

it better get cold a few more times, I have too much wood piled up beside the house to want to move back away in spring. my poor grass is so confused.
16731316_10211630878825258_1721112453_o.jpg

Grass? I think I remember grass... Just got a couple more feet of winter in the last 24 hrs. More coming on Wednesday. OOf.

Last edited:
Reactions: firefighterjake
Yup. Got my first sunburn and near heat stroke of the year yesterday clearing some fallen trees out of our creek. I also pulled three ticks off me at the end of the day. What do you all think: are we done with winter or is March going to get cold again?

Still cold here in northeastern WV...and some really strong firewood-drying winds the past couple of days to boot!!

Supposed to be pushing 70 this weekend though, and then highs in the 60s through most of next week. If this keeps up, I might break ground on ripping out my gas fireplace to start the wood stove/hearth project [emoji41]

I've had a bad cold for almost a week now so I've been missing out on that nice weather. Today was a good day to stay inside though--dodging falling branches is no fun. But if you believe the weather forecast, those of us in the east and south will be enjoying warmer than normal temps through the spring:
wg90t.gif

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I've had a bad cold for almost a week now so I've been missing out on that nice weather. Today was a good day to stay inside though--dodging falling branches is no fun. But if you believe the weather forecast, those of us in the east and south will be enjoying warmer than normal temps through the spring:
View attachment 194688
I already can't believe how little wood I've used this year. If this prediction is correct, I will have used right on about 2 cords to heat 2200 square feet this year. Nearly half of what I normally use.

My wife is from Wilmington...she was looking out the window at home and was wondering when she would see the sun again. The winter really sucks here.

I grew up around the Lake Tahoe area in eastern California, and we had snow sometimes from early fall through late April/early May. It gets pretty old.
I'm one of the rare folks who likes a cold climate. The only reason my wife and I still live in Central VA is because we are so ingrained in the family property we live on and take care of. I worked in Alaska for a short period of time and just get along with the cold way better than the heat. Like I said, high seventies and sunny takes me to the brink of heat stroke if I'm working outside for more than a few hours.