The Regency CI2600 & CI2700 operation thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What kind of probe do you have? The OEM one is just a 9V battery only. No option for wall wart.
FYI. I don't think there's anything special about that OEM device. You should be able to replace it with any off-the-shelf k-type thermocouple thermometer and get the same results.

I'm currently using a custom setup with a thermocouple amplifier hooked-up to a raspberry pi. It's mostly held together with spit and duct tape right now while I'm writing software for it.

Hey I have the ci2700 posting in here because I’m sure it’s very similar. I recently had it installed about a month and a half ago. I see people here saying they get there temperature over 1000 degrees?? When I have the damper and the catalytic open I’m only getting around 700 degrees. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Hey I have the ci2700 posting in here because I’m sure it’s very similar. I recently had it installed about a month and a half ago. I see people here saying they get there temperature over 1000 degrees?? When I have the damper and the catalytic open I’m only getting around 700 degrees. Is there something that I am doing wrong?
Are you watching the temperature throughout the burn cycle? If I re-load the hot stove with some wood, it's 1000+ within 30 minutes. It will come to a peak temperature between 30 and 60 minutes and slowly decrease over the next hours. The more wood you load, the higher the peak temperature and the slower the temperature will decline. Have you checked the moisture of your wood?

Are you watching the temperature throughout the burn cycle? If I re-load the hot stove with some wood, it's 1000+ within 30 minutes. It will come to a peak temperature between 30 and 60 minutes and slowly decrease over the next hours. The more wood you load, the higher the peak temperature and the slower the temperature will decline. Have you checked the moisture of your wood?
Yeah, I’m constantly monitoring it. The wood moisture is usually around 17-20%. Maybe I don’t load enough wood. When you turn on your catalytic you are still getting a very high temperature. Every time that I turn it on it drops so much and goes down to about 530

Last edited:
This is what I am currently on. Just reloaded a bit. It seems when I load it too much I don’t get a good fire. That’s why I haven’t loaded it to the max.

Attachments

• B329A265-0842-4F66-B879-A2B6D9120D1E.jpeg
    B329A265-0842-4F66-B879-A2B6D9120D1E.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 648
  • 69BB6C69-7169-49ED-95D3-C59F799F0007.jpeg
    69BB6C69-7169-49ED-95D3-C59F799F0007.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 640
Just loaded it to the max. Kept my door a little open. I got it up to 900. I closed the door and it goes right down. 760, Damper open and catalytic open. I think my wood is not as dry as it should be since when I close the door and turn on the catalytic it goes right down and is at 650. I’m going to buy some wood at Home Depot tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:
Just loaded it to the max. Kept my door a little open. I got it up to 900. I closed the door and it goes right down. 760, Damper open and catalytic open. I think my wood is not as dry as it should be since when I close the door and turn on the catalytic it goes right down and is at 650. I’m going to buy some wood at Home Depot tomorrow and see what happens.

Pisano772, any luck using a different wood source? My stove usually drops temp quite a bit when first closing the door and the Bypass. But within 15-30 minutes it’s back up to full temp.

When you have the door open, do you hear any hissing from wet wood?

Pisano772, any luck using a different wood source? My stove usually drops temp quite a bit when first closing the door and the Bypass. But within 15-30 minutes it’s back up to full temp.

When you have the door open, do you hear any hissing from wet wood?
Hey sorry for the delayed response. Yeah the wood I have is definitely not dry enough. I bought some wood at Home Depot and the temperature is so much higher. I used a moisture meter on the wood I have again and I split it up more and I’m getting around 30% which from this site I heard it very high.

I've burned for 2 seasons, the first was just at nights. Filed for warranty, we'll see what they say. I don't recall seeing any pics THIS bad before :(

Attachments

• 0516201259b.jpg
    0516201259b.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 616
That may be the worst posted. Was icy wood tossed on the fire at some point?

No icy wood. I usually have a load of wood in the house to get it to room temp. Wood is dry, rarely do I get any hissing. Oddly enough, I had some burns a few days ago and granted it was the shoulder season I was heating the house ok, cat glowed a bit, even though the channels were not really attached to anything. Regency has asked for a number of pics.

Got a free replacement, different part number, fits just as good. Original# 106-010. New# 106-534. New# matches what the owners manual has.

I just had the ci 2700 installed and I am just breaking it in. Focus on hopefully not breaking it.

one thing I am not clear on. When I am say going to bed. Should I pull out the catalytic bypass? Or can I leave it engaged. I don’t want it to get damaged as the first naturally burns down and eventually out. I can’t find any instructions in the Manuel or online. Everything focuses on not engaging it until the correct time or waiting after re loading. But I am scratching my head on the answer to what to do now that I want to go to bed!

I just had the ci 2700 installed and I am just breaking it in. Focus on hopefully not breaking it.

one thing I am not clear on. When I am say going to bed. Should I pull out the catalytic bypass? Or can I leave it engaged. I don’t want it to get damaged as the first naturally burns down and eventually out. I can’t find any instructions in the Manuel or online. Everything focuses on not engaging it until the correct time or waiting after re loading. But I am scratching my head on the answer to what to do now that I want to go to bed!
Leave it engaged. It will eventually become inactive. No harm done.

Hi there,

I've been looking at the Digital Catalytic Combustor Monitor and notice that everytime it is turned on it either displays hi or lo and a different number flashes before stabilizing. I've misplaced my manual and cant find any information on what the hi or lo means. Anyone have any insight?

Attachments

• 16055701506159028083023267890785.jpg
    16055701506159028083023267890785.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 538
You get that for 1/2 a second, no one thinks twice about what it all means.

Reactions: Jason H
Greetings all. First post to this forum. I am building a house in North Alabama and built a full up masonry chimney but installed a Regency CI2700 in order to have some efficiency. My question is about loading this insert. I had a wood stove in my old house and it would take a 22” log, as this CI2700 is advertised. However, with the slanted firebox, 22” only works up front by the glass. Also, I see that in Regency’s user guide they run the logs from the back of the firebox towards the glass. How is everyone loading this thing for maximum burns?

Hi everyone! due to this very thread, I purchased and installed (by experts) a CI2700 in my split level home.

When loading wood, I can get temps up to 1200F and was wondering the following:

1.What temperature is too hot where over firing the stove becomes an issue

2. Is there a break in procedure? I just loaded wood and let it burn!

3. any tips on how to move the hot air throughout the house? My home is only 1700 sqft and we haven't noticed much heat going up. I put a fan near the stairs to push the warm air up.

Thank you all!!

Presuming that 1200F is the cat temp. Keep it below 1500º. Stove temp and overfiring is different. Moving the heat is a different issue. Start a new thread and include a sketch or two of the floorplan showing the insert location.

Can you guys all look and see if your boxes are cracked!!!! I have been through two in the last 5 years for warranty...

Cracked in the same location on both boxes - CI2600

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 383
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 375
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 390
  • image0.jpeg