The stove is cold and outside is too

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about that Battenkiller, but just think how soundly you'll be sleeping in the next few weeks.

Your new mattress can last a lot longer than your older one if you rotate it quarterly AND encase it with one of those dust mite mattress covers. I did the mattress but skipped the boxspring as the Doctor recomended that I do all the mattresses/pillows/duvets in the house and that was $$$. Besides, its the mattress and pillow that you put your head on and that was the most important to us.

I've seen the mite covers locally (at our local drugstores along with a few department stores) but you can get much better quality ones that don't feel like waterproof mattress pads (they are breathable enough for air/sweat to pass but not allow mites to through (along with their poo)) online (search allergy+bedding+healthy). Enjoy your new Beautyrest!

A sad current event, the death of the young Georgian athlete on the Luge track at the Winter Olympic Games, may illustrate the power of negative self talk. The young man is known to have called his father several days prior to the event and confided that he was afraid of that fast course. I don't know any more details, but I just wish he had sought help. Perhaps he could have reframed his thoughts and feelings and thus avoided that terrible disaster. There's no sure way of knowing.

There are definitely emotional components to physical ailments. That doesn't make the physical symptoms any less real- or annoying- but it points the way to very powerful means to diminish and even banish symptoms.

Gary Craig has done some downright interesting work in this area. The culmination of his lifetime of experience is a technique he calls EFT- Emotional Freedom Technique. EFT is pretty much a practical implementation of 'Neuro Linguistic Programming'- that is to say, 'positive self talk'. NLP is also a very powerful technique in its own right. You might also call it 'positive self hypnosis'. Combine that with a knowledge of the energy meridians in the body, and you've got a potentially quite effective way to intervene in physical ailments.

Don't believe me? Let me just humbly remind skeptics that our own US Federal government now allows Medicare coverage for accupuncture for a few specific physical ailments. That is to say, the Federal government now officially recognizes (1.) the existence of energy meridians, and (2.) the effectiveness of manipulating these energy flows in the relief of physical symptoms (by inserting accupuncture needles in energy meridians).

Regarding allergies, I believe there are dietary, environmental, and psychological connections. There are several methods of alleviating allergy symptoms, including medicines (to cover over symptoms), immunizations ('allergy shots'), lifestyle changes (diet, exercise), and so forth. I believe that EFT can also help in this area, and may in fact prove to be one of the stronger tools.

Disclaimer: I don't know Gary Craig, other than what I have read of his stuff on the internet. I have no stake in any enterprise he might be involved in. But I do think the guy is 'for real' and has something to offer here.

If anyone is interested, here are a few relevant links to him. Many will briefly investigate and decide the guy is total BS. Won't hurt my feelings a bit. Or his, probably. You can download a brief primer and try his technique for free. You can optionally buy various DVD's and other materials from him if you wish. It's becoming a fairly well known technique, and you may be hearing more about this from time to time. It takes a little effort to understand and apply the technique. Although it can at times become quite complex, the basics are simple, and a lot of folks report it worked for them.

Using EFT for Allergy Relief
Newcomers Information- What is EFT?
EFT Home

"Some day the medical profession will wake up and realize that unresolved emotional issues are the main cause of 85% of all illnesses. When they do, EFT will be one of their primary healing tools .... as it is for me."

- Eric Robins, MD -

LLigetfa--

I think you should def do some experiments with hepa filters and a little humidity (25-30%RH). I got a HEPA in my bedroom a few years ago and it was great, but it was annoyingly loud, now its gone. Since I installed a central air/heat pump combo, I went with a near-HEPA filter in the whole-house air handler, and its great--we no longer have to 'dust'. It runs summer and winter, and on 'circulate' at other times. The only issue is the filters are ~$150/yr, but I figure its worth it relieving the various allergies the wife and I had suffered with. We are much healthier.

If you are both suffering, you should invest in some sort of large HEPA system. You could put a bedroom unit on a timer when you are not there to reduce dust. Do you have a HEPA vacuum, or the budget alternative--disposable 'allergen' vacuum bags? IMO, relief is not immediate, it takes a while for the dust and crud in the house to get purged (with regular vacuuming/cleaning).

All that fresh air you're pumping in could be counter productive--are you sending allergens and smoke in from the outside? Can you put a large HEPA filter near your air inlet, matched to the air flow? Can you eliminate the sources of 'staleness' so less fresh air is needed, e.g. a basement dehumidifier? Replace some carpeting? New pet bed, etc?

Sounds like you've got all the skills to figure this out---I would talk to her about her concerns with a passive filter--what's unnatural about pulling artificial crud from the air before you breath it? I suspect that your attention to this issue will make her feel respected/heard, and make everything else better.

As a side note--I'm a evening/weekend burner, and very careful about smoke spillage, but I can tell when I've been burning more by looking at my filter (dirtier) and listening to the air noise it makes (clogged/louder). So, even when we can never smell smoke, I think we ARE putting particles into the home air.

2370739520106233248S600x600Q85.jpg

...just rifting on Cluttermagnet's reply.

savageactor7 said:
2370739520106233248S600x600Q85.jpg

...just rifting on Cluttermagnet's reply.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Remember the original TV episode "Shootout at the OK Corral" on Star Trek? Spock (Leonard Nimoy) is doing the Vulcan Mind Meld on each of the crew in turn: "The bullets are not real, they cannot hurt you..."

"And later we can have whiskey in the cantina..." %-P

velvetfoot said:
I had an ex-wife that made me get rid of my cat.

Everyone needs a starter marriage. I kept the cat and got ride of the first wife.

Remember the original TV episode “Shootout at the OK Corral”...

LOL yes Cluttermagnet I remember that one...pretty sure it had the green sky in it.

In Golf they refer to what you were describing above as the inner eye, the minds eye or visualizing the shot you want to make. Your right on about negative thoughts...you have to be positive and confidant.

Status
Not open for further replies.