The Unicorn of stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skolden

Aug 21, 2014
Washington State
I currently have a 1991 Lopi Foxfire 400PS that I've been attempting to use as the main source of heat for the last 3 years but I think it's time to upgrade. It was left behind by the previous renters so I thought I could make it work, I plumbed it directly into a chimney using a T off the back of the pipe, 5 feet of vertical pipe, and an elbow going about 1 foot horizontally into the chimney 8-3" reducer. I think whatever I get next will need the insert in the chimney, The pellet stove needs cleaned out quite often and doesn't burn very well save for the few times a year I take it outside and shoot a bunch of air through everything with an air compressor.

I have a huge old house and don't expect to heat it all but I want something that has more efficiency in heating and with the potential to crank out way more heat if I need to, something this stove can't do. I'm pretty tight on a budget but I realize I'll be needing to spend around ~$3000 to get something that will heat a few thousand square feet. I can get good pellets (Lignetics) for about $175 a ton so I'm not too worried about the fuel source, just need a stove that will be pretty trouble free and put out some actual heat. Any help is greatly appreciated, this damn stove has been stressing me out about the last few weeks knowing that it's going to get cold again soon!

Have you thought about using a second stove in another part of the house to help the Lopi? I think your main problem will be getting heat to move around, especially if your old house is broken up into many rooms as a lot of them are.A second stove would certainly help that way.

Sounds like you need a pellet boiler and a disttribution system to go with it

I actually have an old oil stove for backup that I use when the temperature starts to get in the low 20's and below, between it and the pellet stove I can keep my house around 70 but when it gets below zero is when my pellet stove doesn't seem to keep up the temperature. My house is so old that I figure just getting a more efficient pellet stove will allow me to really burn some pellets and generate some heat if I really needed to, I was wondering how much not having a liner could effect that if it has to go up a chimney around 25 feet?

liner more of a safety type thing with pellet stoves due to forced draft. Even with the forced exhaust that big old chimney lets things get lazy hence condensing flue gases. That leads to creosote formations , so an insulated liner or liner with insulation poured in around it is prudent. Will not change heat output of stove, but very likely will prevent a visit from the local fire department. Rather than a new stove adding insulation and sealing up the drafty old place would likely go a lot further towards a more comfortable home when old man winter comes knocking. Depending on your abilities a lot of this can be done diy style.

Ditto blades on the insulating and window upgrades first. Since it doesn't sound like you have an OAK (outside air kit), you are making all the drafts worse because combustion air needs to be replenished from the warm room air. Replenishing that air means it is sucking cold air through all the drafty areas around windows and doors...

I put plastic up on all on my windows and insulate as best I can but that's not really what I was concerned with, regardless of the stove still being usable (might move it upstairs) I was hoping to get recommendations on some pellet stoves that people have had good experiences with and didn't cost an arm and a leg, suppose I'll go through the stickies...

heat a few thousand square feet
You are looking for a unicorn! The Serenity by Castle seems to be a decent heater in the lower price tag but is not meant to heat that amount of space... none of them are as they are space heaters. The Enviro Maxx is a higher price range but does have a heat distribution kit that might be more in line with what you need.

Edit: Another ductable stove https://www.enerzone-intl.com/en/products/pellet-stoves/euromax-pellet-heater/

Also noted you just had a stub in the chimney for venting ... liner to the top may help with less ash build-up. Also safer option for eliminating potential infiltration of exhaust into living space. CO detectors in place?

Last edited:
I currently have a 1991 Lopi Foxfire 400PS that I've been attempting to use as the main source of heat for the last 3 years but I think it's time to upgrade. It was left behind by the previous renters so I thought I could make it work, I plumbed it directly into a chimney using a T off the back of the pipe, 5 feet of vertical pipe, and an elbow going about 1 foot horizontally into the chimney 8-3" reducer. I think whatever I get next will need the insert in the chimney, The pellet stove needs cleaned out quite often and doesn't burn very well save for the few times a year I take it outside and shoot a bunch of air through everything with an air compressor.

I have a huge old house and don't expect to heat it all but I want something that has more efficiency in heating and with the potential to crank out way more heat if I need to, something this stove can't do. I'm pretty tight on a budget but I realize I'll be needing to spend around ~$3000 to get something that will heat a few thousand square feet. I can get good pellets (Lignetics) for about $175 a ton so I'm not too worried about the fuel source, just need a stove that will be pretty trouble free and put out some actual heat. Any help is greatly appreciated, this damn stove has been stressing me out about the last few weeks knowing that it's going to get cold again soon!
Look at the Pelpro TSC90, $1499 tractor supply, 50k BTU 90lb hopper

I was hoping to get recommendations on some pellet stoves that people have had good experiences with and didn't cost an arm and a leg...

You did. I think what some of the posters were trying to say, politely, is that there is no stove capable of heating an area as large as you say your home is. For sure nothing that 'doesn't cost an arm and a leg.' Pellet stoves are space heaters, and yes I know, the space you want to heat is your home. The problem is that large homes need more than one space heater. The 2 pellet stove recommendation may be the route best for you. In this case, you decide where to place the heat source. I have experience heating with 2 pellet stoves. Just ask.