The Walking Trail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Since the car traffic picked up on our street the wife would like this cleared from her walking trail so she can walk on it which will be safer, it will be done tomorrow.

This Maple branch came down in the May 23 storm, we have another just east of this.

Attachments

• 100_7304.JPG
    100_7304.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 129
Well Dave, we know how lazy zap is. No wonder he's putting it off.:p
Honestly, I still don't know how you get out there so often, zap. Tires me out just looking at the pics.>>

Reactions: ScotO
Well Dave, we know how lazy zap is. No wonder he's putting it off.:p
Honestly, I still don't know how you get out there so often, zap. Tires me out just looking at the pics.>>
Just a chit load of work PapaDave, with working on the trails an all the downed wood from the May 23 storm it gets old, it's just me so there's not much of a choice.

My neighbor did mention tonight on the phone that I must have lots of wood, that means he never ordered his for this year, when I see him Sunday I bet I'm in for more work.

Reactions: ScotO and Plow Boy
Walking trails got to stay in shape just like the Rhino trails Zap
That's a good maple..........it rained all day yesterday and today. Alot of rain
I did manage to put up a couple of nice rows of oak.

Reactions: zap and ScotO
I hear ya zap. I've got about a 5 acre wood patch and I have been trying to do a trail for a while now. It is like you say a lot of work. I'll send some pics of my process when I get back from vacating.

Reactions: zap and ScotO
I'm not sure if I set the standard for hard work, just have more white pine that the bugs rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr killing.

Reactions: Plow Boy and ScotO
We did open up this walking trail today (89 degrees) most of the Maple that came down in the My 23 storm was good wood. We had lots of dead stuff down with some tall stringy Maple that we took out of there (food for the deer), we still have more work but it was a good start on a hot day.

Attachments

• 100_7568.JPG
    100_7568.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_7569.JPG
    100_7569.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_7571.JPG
    100_7571.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_7573.JPG
    100_7573.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_7574.JPG
    100_7574.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_7575.JPG
    100_7575.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_7576.JPG
    100_7576.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_7579.JPG
    100_7579.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_7580.JPG
    100_7580.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 88
In this heat, that's a lot of work.
I just came in from mowing part of the yard and the area in front of the field stacks. Looked at the thermometer (in the shade), and saw that it's 90.
No wonder I was hot.>>
15::F cooler in the house.:cool:
Over 128 ounces of water today (when I was working), a few tree stops but we made it through.==c Your're correct PapaDave, it's 2 damn hot so Saturday the saws stay idle.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I took a walk back to check on the small maples we cut down, the deer have been eating the leaves.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hey guys here is some pics of my trail, doesn't look near as good as zap's. Still have a lot of work to do and mother nature is not helping one bit.jeffs phone 7-7-13 020.jpg This the entrance from the lower field.

jeffs phone 7-7-13 021.jpg This going through the lower woods, it just loops back around.

jeffs phone 7-7-13 025.jpg going down the hill to the gully I had some trees pushed in to clear a field for planting. Wish I knew back then that I'd be burning wood. It is hard to get the trees back out of the gully. I posted some pics last year pulling some out with my JD.

jeffs phone 7-7-13 026.jpg "The" Gully, there is some decent trees still in there, I got a maple and a white oak to pull out of there this fall. Too Hot and too much poison right now.

jeffs phone 7-7-13 028.jpg This is the much more established road that runs beside my middle field. it runs from my house to the lower field and then u use the other trail to go through the lower woods.
jeffs phone 7-7-13 030.jpg As u can probably tell we have had a lot of rain and my road is about washed out.

jeffs phone 7-7-13 031.jpg

jeffs phone 7-7-13 032.jpg This where the road comes out at my house. You can see my building and the tractor shed in the background

jeffs phone 7-7-13 033.jpg This the start of my cutting this year, I haven't been burning wood long so I am way behind on my wood storage. probably about two cords there and all of it is cherry except a few pieces of popular.

Looks good, around our house I've been working on the trails off & on for about 5 years, each year we see a big difference.

Last summer we put in the outdoor fireplace so I can burn the bigger junk wood in the winter or in the summer when it's wet, that really helps out since our town has a diameter limit on what you can bring to the wood dump.

Reactions: Plow Boy
Status
Not open for further replies.