There is a cinderblock in my chimney!.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J Huz

Hearth Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
Central Va.
Hello all, I am in need of some help. I seem to have a cinder block installed between two of my chimney tiles !!. I want to reline my chimney with a SS flex liner but there is no way it is going to fit through the block.
In your opinion, would it be feasible (and safe) to remove part of the cinder block to make room for the liner? Does anyone have any ideas of how this can be fixed? I would prefer not to rebuild the chimney.
This is a two flu chimney with one not being used.
I am going to attempt to add some pictures to this post. If I am successful with the pictures, pic 0001 is the flu I want to fix and pic 0002 is the one not being used.
Huz

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 472
I'd say that chimney is not quite to code (esp. #2, yikes!). Might be a problem re: inspection, insurance, safety, etc. Don't see where busting out some concrete and putting in a liner is going to change that, unless it's possibly a poured in liner.

Yikes, that's one I don't recall seeing on here! How big are the tiles? And how big would that make that hole in the cinderblock?

Might have to get a local mason to take a look and tell you whats going on there and how to go about fixing it.

Are those pics looking up, or down?

I'm thinking up... and, that it might be worse than you think, cause I lightened that way up and it looks like it's cinderblock from there up? So, maybe a narrow liner might fit?

11vqipg.jpg

Toss a couple of M80s in there! :lol:

Will trying to break the edge off compromise its structural integrity?

Thank you all for your response's so far. The pictures are looking down from the top of the chimney, The cinder blocks are 24" from the top. The flue tile are 6 1/2" ID. There is a tile on top of the chimney then a cinder block and the rest tile.
When I look down there I can imagine the people building the chimney. One yells to the other, "hey Bubba, (not to offend anyone who's name is Bubba :cheese: ) we are going to be about 6 inches short on these tiles. Bubba's reply " just stick a cinder block on top of the next to last one and that will make the top one fit just right".
Huz

Everything I have ever thought about building inspectors has just been verified. Somebody oughta go to jail for that stunt. There is no telling how many other dangerous things they did in that chimney installation.

BrotherBart said:
Everything I have ever thought about building inspectors has just been verified. Somebody oughta go to jail for that stunt. There is no telling how many other dangerous things they did in that chimney installation.
Awww, you probably think that about the guys who built this cinderblock chimney too...
fail-owned-chimney-fail.jpg

Let me guess, the clean-out door is accessed through the lower window?

tickbitty said:
BrotherBart said:
Awww, you probably think that about the guys who built this cinderblock chimney too...

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. I think I would have at least centered on the window then bricked the whole thing in.

pen

tickbitty said:
BrotherBart said:

Friggin' lulz!

Lots of cinder block chimneys in the world. Lots of them with tile liners. But putting one in the middle of a tile liner is insane. That concrete is number one not fire cured like tile liner and number two I do not see a drop of mortar anywhere on either one of those blocks. Willing to bet there isn't any between the tile sections either. Just how much attention to separation from combustible framing or anything else do you think was considered or done.

Sir, please do not light another fire in either of those things.

PS: If that first pic is from the top then the law of gravity has been changed with that cord/rope. And it sure looks like the pic was shot through a damper frame.

Sorry for not clarifying, there is a chimney top damper installed on this flue. That is why the first pic looks as if it was taken through a damper.

So is the block above the roof line, or below it? Maybe you can just rebuild chimney from there up, (if the rest of the chimney checks out?)

Sorry to sidetrack your thread with the chimney fail pic. Been looking for an opportunity to post that!

As Bro Bart say, could be other probs. Get the whole thing carefully inspected by a pro.

The block is above the roof-line maybe 2-3 ft.
Tickbitty, That's alright, It let's me know that I am not the only one plagued by a crappy builder.
Brotherbart, You are absolutely correct. I don't think much was considered in any part of building this house. There has not been one project I have undertaken that some crazy crap like this has not showed itself.
Huz

Status
Not open for further replies.