There is weather, and then there is really bad weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I posted this before but it will also make you take cover. Good old sand storm in Afghanistan.

Sand Storm II.jpg Sand Strom I.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One more up close and shows the size of this monster.
Sand Storm III.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how the Marine in the last picture refuses to give up his post. 5 minutes later he was inside that guard shack, you can put money on that!

Holy Haiyan - that is big wind. I have been to PI a couple of times. I can't imagine half of those buildings holding up to that kind of wind. Some of the cement living huts might make it if the surrounding trees don't beat them to heck.

This storm is packing F4 and F5 tornado strength over a huge area. The aftermath is not going to be good.

131108-typhoon-02.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

I have some relatives right in the path of this giant. Phone went dead last night ,no word since. I know some people in the direct path in tacloban which is right on the coast. They will be first to get hit,also get Min 15 Ft storm surge which will inundate the town of a few hundred thousand. Cat 5 all the way thru the PI. Sustained winds195 Mph gusting to 235MPH. Sounds more Like a tornado than a typhoon.

Hope they got to safe high ground. This is a bad ass storm.

holy sheep guts...kinda freaky when the storm is larger than the entire island chain.

Almost looks like one of those storms in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". Very scary storm..

Haiyan looks to be the strongest storm ever recorded. Sustained winds of 195 mph, gusts at 235mph.
hate to disappoint you bg but there are no flights into typhoons anymore , no record here of the strongest ever, only satellite estimates. so says dr. ryan maue, who has an interesting tweet this afternoon. " over the past 1000 yrs, the Philippines have been hit by 10,000 to 20,000 tropical cyclones." my guess the odd are better than one in 10-20k this is not the strongest. point is no reconnaissance , awful storm for those it is affecting.https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/398846914017259520/photo/1/largethe next article is recommended by dr. mauehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ything-you-need-to-know-about-super-typhoons/

Last edited:
Nephew's wife is Filipino and they of course can't contact any of her family.

could you contact any body in so. jersey to r.i. 12 1/4 months ago. nothin new bb, it must be bad there as it was here

Actually yes. Me and Dix on RI talked on the phone.

My wife is there night now. Heard from her yesterday then they lost power.
Was freaking out all day today, Finally about 6 our time was able to contact her. Scary!
Don't realize what we have till it may be gone.

Reactions: Ashful
Scary for sure.

I was in one myself there in 1993. Worst thing about it is i had no idea it was even coming. I was at a beach resort with no TV in the room and no one mentioned a big typhoon was coming. Spent most of the storm in my room watching tin roofs blow off the houses nearby. Rain was going sideways. Was also in an earthquake there as well. A first experience both times.

Haiyan ended up being stronger than Katrina and Sandy combined. The storm's clouds covered the entire Philippine archipelago. This is like a storm stretching from Miami to NY. 1200 deaths so far. Many still missing. Wind speed is not the only way to record the destruction of a storm. This one will definitely go down in the record books. Vietnam is hunkering down now, but hopefully for a weakened storm.

Last edited:
Luckily i was able to get a hold of my wife. She is safe.

Reactions: Jags
I attended a wedding in Tacloban 2 years ago. Beautiful town and beaches & resorts. That city took a direct hit with the worst of the wind and storm surge,at least 1000 DEAD so far and the city of 280000 people is pretty much wrecked,some parts leveled. Sad
My relatives in Cebu (2.5 Million )fared a lot better as they were south of the worst of the destruction. No word from them so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.