Thermo on single wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
My single wall terminates to a SS T and liner straight up to the top.

I have read in some places that on single wall, if the thermo says 300, it's really 600?

Wondering if this is the case. I was at the stove shop today and saw some probe thermos, is it worth it for single wall?

Dustin

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355207365.547074.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355207365.547074.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 127
Despite what any packaging says, probe thermometers are meant for double wall pipe. Their scale is not correct for single wall pipe due to the hotter external surface of single wall.

If you trust that rutland is reading accurately, ignore it's craptastic scale, and follow these temp guidelines.

chimgard.jpg

The scale on a rutland is a compromise between what temps should be seen on a stove pipe and a stove top. Condar's scale and thermometers represent what is safe for pipe and stove top respectively, no averaging like rutland does.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.