Thermo shock the CAT ? - blaze king bypass on reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fagan2425

Mar 31, 2022
Rochester NY
I'm (slowly) learning how my new blaze king works over the past few days, and dialing it all in :)

One question I have is- do I always need to open the bypass when I open the door to reload? So far its always sill been "active" each time I reload. I have heard you can thermo shock the CAT affecting its longevity if you open the door without opening the bypass, and also loading to frequently? .

On that note -should I wait until its inactive to reload? right now I'm just basing my reload on visually seeing just coals, but its still active. It seems its a good thing to have high temp coals to reload a full load of wood?

Yes, open the bypass before each reload. No, you don't have to wait until inactive. I reload whenever it's convenient. Close the bypass quickly after reload and closing the door.

Last edited:
I'm (slowly) learning how my new blaze king works over the past few days, and dialing it all in :)

One question I have is- do I always need to open the bypass when I open the door to reload? So far its always sill been "active" each time I reload. I have heard you can thermo shock the CAT affecting its longevity if you open the door without opening the bypass, and also loading to frequently? .

On that note -should I wait until its inactive to reload? right now I'm just basing my reload on visually seeing just coals, but its still active. It seems its a good thing to have high temp coals to reload a full load of wood?
Yes open the bypass every time before you open the door

As above.

You'll know when you forgot to open the bypass as then smoke will roll out.

While reloading just needs to happen before you e.g. leave for work, regardless of how well the previous load has burned down, the stove works best (cleanest and laziest) by minimizing the number of reloads. But something life just gets in the way.

You have received good advice. What model do you have? Are you burning full loads to reduce the reloading routine/Cat exposure? Are you reloading when your house temps require it or just because the stove looks low? You will get everything figured out eventually. Enjoy.