Thermometer....can I depend on it's reading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Nov 27, 2007
SW Mich.
Okay guys, Every thermometer I have seen gives three areas, creosote, burn zone, and over-fire. So can I assume that if I am within the "burn zone" burning season hard wood,oak hickory, walnut, you know good wood! that I am also burning clean and efficient? Over firing generally starts on these thermometer's at 575/600, and yet I here some of you talking about 600/650 and even 700 burn temps. So my question...."because as we all know the manufactures never give you a "over-fire" temperature, they just say not to do it." are the thermometers correct? would over firing start at 600* ? and if I am in the burn zone am I not creating creosote? For your info, I am burning a Hearthstone Heritage

I never had a gage for 35 years. Now I have one and it is helpful to know whats going on. Just do not get to caught up in the numbers. I think its best to just use it for a guide. If you think its over firing turn it down. The truth about overfireing is not so much the high temp but how long you keep it there. I will say quality steel stoves can go to 900 without a problem and usually do when they are being used incold country the fact is they usually start coming down fairly soon after they hit the high temp.. Cast and soapstone are different and can not take those high temps. The people with your stove will be able to tell you whats a good max temp.

The "burning guides" that are labeled on the thermometers are meant for surface temps of the stovepipe/flue. I have one on my stovepipe as it exits the stove, and another on the stove top. Members that report stove top temps usually report in the 450-600 degree range. A corresponding stovepipe temp taken at the same time might only be in the 250-350 degree range. Good temps for a clean burn. Where did you mount your thermostat?

Like i said it depends on stove type. I was talking 900 on stove top. I put the gage on the steel top in front and to the side of the pipe. The T6 really starts putting out the heat at about 750 and even better at 850. The 450 to 600 range does not work for this stove except during early season short fire times. In fact the T6 likes to go north of 700 without any effort. A person will get use to his stove and will notice the extreme temp and different behavior of his stove when its overfireing. I am not recommending these temps for your stove I am just stating the good working temps for mine.

Dang snowtime, you are driving that puppy hard. I haven't seen over 650 on the T6 yet. But then again I haven't seen lower than mid 30's outside since it was installed.

Woodwacker, the zones are for surface flue temps, not for stove top measurements. Different stoves run at different temps. Hearthstone recommends not taking the Heritage or Homestead over 600 degrees, so it's best to follow the manufacturer's guidelines. (I'm not sure which you're burning, signature says Homestead):

After you have attained a high burn rate, monitor the
stove temperatures frequently to ensure that the stove is
not over-fired. The surface temperature on top of the
stove should not exceed 600° Fahrenheit (316° Celcius).

For future searches on "thermometers" can anyone give us recommended numbers for the front of an insert?

Do "front of insert" numbers correspond to "top of stove" numbers?

RonB said:
The "burning guides" that are labeled on the thermometers are meant for surface temps of the stovepipe/flue. I have one on my stovepipe as it exits the stove, and another on the stove top. Members that report stove top temps usually report in the 450-600 degree range. A corresponding stovepipe temp taken at the same time might only be in the 250-350 degree range. Good temps for a clean burn. Where did you mount your thermostat?
hey RonB, looks as if we are neighbors...i am just out here in Scotts

Cearbhaill said:
For future searches on "thermometers" can anyone give us recommended numbers for the front of an insert?

Do "front of insert" numbers correspond to "top of stove" numbers?

Usually they're a little cooler on the front of the insert. But if I remember right Hog was seeing some 700+ temps on the front of his Summit.

Thanks guys...I am not concern with over firing, I was just curious with the info on the thermometers. I haven't ever had her over 575 and by then holy crap....she putting out the heat. normally cruise around 450" stove top" and it keeps us in the mid 70's. thermostat is rear center stove top, with surround it's difficult to get one on pipe.

snowtime said:
I will say quality steel stoves can go to 900 without a problem and usually do when they are being used incold country the fact is they usually start coming down fairly soon after they hit the high temp.. .

I believe I have a quality steel stove. If I run it up to 900 degrees, don't I have to worry about burning out the flue pipe?

I guess I haven't ranted about this for a year, so please indulge me again...

MANUFACTURERS! People are shelling out four-figure prices for your stoves. How hard could it be to include a ten-buck (retail) thermometer in the crate with EVERY STOVE SOLD, and a couple of paragraphs in the owner's manual telling where to locate the thermo and what typical readings should look like?

Sure, anyone with experience can run a stove without a thermometer, but almost anyone, and especially newbies, can benefit from better heat, cleaner burning, and reduced anxiety (about under- or over-firing) when flying "by the numbers". The stove designers are the ones who KNOW these temperatures; the rest of us are merely guessing. Why aren't we getting some guidance through official channels?

/rant mode off

Eddy

kenny chaos said:
snowtime said:
I will say quality steel stoves can go to 900 without a problem and usually do when they are being used incold country the fact is they usually start coming down fairly soon after they hit the high temp.. .

I believe I have a quality steel stove. If I run it up to 900 degrees, don't I have to worry about burning out the flue pipe?

Can you add your stove to the signature line?

900 degrees is in overfire territory for the stove, regardless of quality. If the flue temps are higher, it could be exceeding the continuous rating of the connector pipe. The stove won't melt down, but my understanding is that it is accelerating it's aging.

EddyKilowatt said:
I guess I haven't ranted about this for a year, so please indulge me again...

MANUFACTURERS! People are shelling out four-figure prices for your stoves. How hard could it be to include a ten-buck (retail) thermometer in the crate with EVERY STOVE SOLD, and a couple of paragraphs in the owner's manual telling where to locate the thermo and what typical readings should look like?

Sure, anyone with experience can run a stove without a thermometer, but almost anyone, and especially newbies, can benefit from better heat, cleaner burning, and reduced anxiety (about under- or over-firing) when flying "by the numbers". The stove designers are the ones who KNOW these temperatures; the rest of us are merely guessing. Why aren't we getting some guidance through official channels?

/rant mode off

Eddy

Eddy,

We agree! It is like trying to drive safely and arrive on time without a speedometer. Possibly stove manufacturers are advised
by their legal counsel that ignorance is good. Go figure! Then, the manufacturer cannot be held to the stoves performance that is measured by a simple, and easily damaged $10 gauge. It is hard to figure the corporate policy/logic on this.

I would suggest that every stove dealer/retailer make a thermometer, the suggested accessory on the sale of each stove/heating device. Then the dealer can discuss it's use with the customer on stove delivery and setup.

If I was a stove dealer, I would include one and training on it's use, with every sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.