Thermometer placement on PE Summit insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Where would I put a thermometer on my Summit insert? Is there really any way to monitor the liner/chimney temp with an insert?
What would be the best thermometer for this situation? Hope you all are having a fine weekend. I am off to put more ceiling up in the new rooms. I think that makes my back hurt worse then bringing the insert in yesterday.

I put mine on the upper right front just above the door, as shown here. I think it's pretty accurate. I don't know how you'd get a stack/liner temp unless you install a remote sensor thermometer on/in the liner before you close everything in with the surround.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 315
Willhound said:
I put mine on the upper right front just above the door, as shown here. I think it's pretty accurate. I don't know how you'd get a stack/liner temp unless you install a remote sensor thermometer on/in the liner before you close everything in with the surround.

As always, thanks hound. I will have the oportunity to install a remote sensor, is it worth the effort, or more a waste of time?
Good placement. I can read yours & the name, think I'll look for the one for mine :). Thanks man.

One other thing. How the hell do you put the leveling bolts on, and adjust them when the insert is in? Or is it trial and error in, out, in, out till ya get what ya need? Are they a necessity if its sitting farily level? I am hoping I find a level floor when I pull the old insert out.

Hogwildz said:
One other thing. How the hell do you put the leveling bolts on, and adjust them when the insert is in? Or is it trial and error in, out, in, out till ya get what ya need? Are they a necessity if its sitting farily level? I am hoping I find a level floor when I pull the old insert out.

Levelling bolts went on before insert went in the hole, and we tried to get it as level as possible before shoving it back. I had just enough room on mine to slide a wrench underneath from the sides, but we still had some in and out until we got it right. Actually, for mine, we tried to get the Summit level, and then realizwd that it didn't look right relative to the surround and the line of the bricks on my fireplace. Found the fireplace wasn't perfectly level, so we threw away the level and just went by eye so that everything "looked right".

Hogwildz said:
Willhound said:

As always, thanks hound. I will have the oportunity to install a remote sensor, is it worth the effort, or more a waste of time?
Good placement. I can read yours & the name, think I'll look for the one for mine :). Thanks man.

My thermometer is an "Imperial" made by a company called KelKem. It is 2 1/2 inches in diameter, so if you find anything close in size it should fit in that little space above the door, under the top valance.
As far as getting stack temp, I personally don't feel a need to be that finicky, but there are lot's of folks here that would probabley say they need/want to know this info.
With no catalytic to worry about, I find I don't really use the thermometer all that much, it's more out of interest, except maybe to check my instincts when they tell me I'm burning a little on the hot side. When this happens, I can usually tell just from the hot smell in the room. Can't describe it, it just tells me things are too hot. Right now I'm burning at what I consider my "sweet spot" and the thermometer is reading 600 F.

Status
Not open for further replies.