Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hydestone

Jan 11, 2006
Looking for an accurate thermometer. I’ve always used the magnetic type, but they don’t seem to remain accurate for too long. I’ve checked surface temps with IR thermometer and they are off.

Are the probe type any better? Would prefer not to have an extra hole in the flue if I don’t need it.

Recommendations for a durable thermometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the rutland one I have was way off when I bought it but after a few fires its within 20 deg, seems close enough to know when to operate the controls

FYI Ir thermometers are pretty darn accurate unless the emmisivity is set incorrectly.

The best accuracy is a type K thermocouple. It doesnt need much of a hole in the stack to stick one in.

My Condar thermometers seemed to be pretty accurate . . . at least it was when I measured it with my cheap HarborFreight IR thermometer.

Agree, IR thermometers are a lot of fun. I’ve got a Fluke which works nicely.

I’ve got an old Condar...maybe I’ll give Rutland a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk