thermomter type and placement harman exception

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bige34

Aug 13, 2006
I have a harman exception insert with a magnetic thermometer that I have placed to the top left of the door. Was wondering if this is a good spot and also what might the best thermometer be for this particular insert. I don't believe I'm getting accurate temperature readings.

I have a condar magnetic one that i have placed on the front right top (see pic).I never seem to get a high temp at that location (300 to 400 deg)but i use for an idea on how the stove is heating.The condor is pretty much accurate since i compared it with my IR temp gun which i use to take inside the stove temps.When the condar reads 350 the inside stove temp is running around 500.I know that if the condar starts reading over 400 then the stove is getting real hot!!.I hope you enjoy your harman!this is my first year with mine and no problems that i can see.It gets our 1600 sqft colonial nice and toasty both floors.The fan is kinda noisy though but you get used to it.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 276
Thanks for the info Stan, I'm using the same thermometer. At what temp are you closing your damper to fire the afterburner? What speed on you running the fan at when it's up to temp? I've had lot's of success with my stove which I purchased in Sept 06, however this year I got a load of poorly seasoned wood and I'm having a difficult time getting the temperature up.

Sorry about the moist wood!hopefully you have it in a good dry place.When i first light up the stove from a cold start i burn the first load with the damper open to get a good hot coal bed started.I then put in three or more splits ,let it burn for a few min then close the damper to start the afterburner.The temp when i close the damper is 300+ on the temp gauge or 400 deg or greater in the fire box.Still new with this stove but so far i like what it does!do get some haze on the glass door after a few burns which i clean off.The fan i turn on low when temp getting close to 300 on the dial and ill turn it up higher if needed when temp reaches 350+.Its always nice to find another harman exception owner on here. Take Care! Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.