Thermostat- fix it or junk it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddug

Nov 26, 2010
SW New Mexico
My stove has a thermostat which in theory is a good feature especially considering the small firebox and short cycle times, but I can't seem to get it dialed in right.

After the second or third load when everything is at a consistent temperature it functions O.K., it closes down when hot and opens a bit during coaling. When I start the stove during the first load or two it will not close down fast enough and I have to change the thermostat adjustment manually, which is all fine and dandy except that now if I leave it there it will eventually close completely down and I will return to a stove full of black coals.

As I said, once it has been running a few hours I can dial it in pretty good but even then it doesn't seem to react quick enough when I put in a fresh load. This little stove heats up fast and my stove top thermometer will often peg out at 900 degrees, how far above that it is I can only guess. I know my thermometer is off (I checked it in my oven), maybe by as much as 20% but that still seems pretty hot.

So I don't have a whole lot of trust in the thermostat, which is bad because I always need to reload during my 2 AM nature call and I could get back to sleep easier knowing everything was working right. Also I don't burn 24/7 so I light a fire every night a few hours before bed and am always monkeying with the thermostat adjustment, unsure if I have it quite right because it changes as everything heats up.

Just wondering about anyone else's experience with automatic thermostats and whether or not I might be better off rigging the lever so it bypasses the thermostat and I have full manual control.

Status
Not open for further replies.