Thermostat for Oil Drip Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oct 13, 2022
Alaska
I'm not super tech savvy. Can I link this this Nestor Martin S31 oil stove with some kind of after market thermostat? If so, how?
Thanks.
(Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, I didn't see a forum that mentioned oil stoves..)

Well, as my wife always says, "Where there is a whip, there is a way." - then she usually advises me to 'get it done or else!'

So can you link that stove to a thermostat? Well, yes, given enough time, effort and money, most anything would be possible. But, giving a quick look at the manual:

It seems the stove is mainly 'manual' in operation - requiring a fuel valve to be manually opened, manual / physical lighting of the fire, and manual adjustment of the fuel feed / carburetor to the desired settings, So automating all of those requirements would be a first step. But then you'd need all sorts of safety interlocks too. ie if a fuel valve opened but the fire did not light, the system would need to sense that and close the fuel valve. Or if the burner was going and suddenly went out for some reason, or dozens more scenarios.

So in short, it would be a very complex task. If you have the option, it would be better to start with a stove which mainly has all that logic / control / safety built in.

Well, as my wife always says, "Where there is a whip, there is a way." - then she usually advises me to 'get it done or else!'

So can you link that stove to a thermostat? Well, yes, given enough time, effort and money, most anything would be possible. But, giving a quick look at the manual:

It seems the stove is mainly 'manual' in operation - requiring a fuel valve to be manually opened, manual / physical lighting of the fire, and manual adjustment of the fuel feed / carburetor to the desired settings, So automating all of those requirements would be a first step. But then you'd need all sorts of safety interlocks too. ie if a fuel valve opened but the fire did not light, the system would need to sense that and close the fuel valve. Or if the burner was going and suddenly went out for some reason, or dozens more scenarios.

So in short, it would be a very complex task. If you have the option, it would be better to start with a stove which mainly has all that logic / control / safety built in.
Thanks a lot, Corey. I didn't have access to a desktop and my phone would not open the manual.