Thermostat to run my blower????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MF1635 Owner

Mar 6, 2011
CT
I have a NZ 3000 and would like to run my blower with a thermostat. I want the to set the thermostat to 73 degrees and when it hits that temp the thermostat will shut off the blower until the temp drops below that temp again. I have done a search but can't seem to find a thread that deals with this request. They make one that I can buy from Napoleon but I am wondering if I can just get one from Home Depot or similar place to do the job. What I would like is a digital one but it doesn't have to be programmable, I would be happy to just be able to set a temp and let it go. I have attached the diagram for wiring that comes with the blower.

So if you follow the diagram starting at L1 is where power comes from and first must go thru the door press switch. If that is closed then it goes to the thermo disk which has a 120 degree trip temp, I do not have the summer bypass switch. After 120 degrees it will allow power to continue to the KB35 rheostat switch variable speed switch and then into the fan and out of the fan to the neutral line coming from the panel. Theres a ground in there to. So what I am thinking is that if after the thermo disk I can go into a thermostat I install in the room on a wall and then out of the thermostat and continue on to the KB35 and life would be good. Than I set the temp on the thermostat and it will turn the fan off and on for me.

So what thermostat will do that? My research says a 120 volt single pole line volt thermostat will work???? I can't seem to find something that says that on home depots website in the digital format. Any ideas???

Attachments

• IMG00282-20111124-1436.jpg
    IMG00282-20111124-1436.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,656
Line voltage thermostat will work. Single or double pole will be fine. If you end up with a double pole just cut the 2 extra wires off. Most of those double pole units only switch one pole anyhow.... JUST make sure you cut the wires that aren't switch wires though! Use a multimeter and check for continuity.

Head down to Lowe's and take a look, they have dozens to chose from.

I have something like this to control my Modine heater in the garage. http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Products-LV1-Thermostat-Sterling/dp/B000VYNCU0/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

I might have to spend some $$ for a better one as it's got probably a 10* temp swing.

I would be surprised if there is much difference in heat output with or without the blower. I find on my Blaze King that the blower just helps to distribute the warm air, not make it hotter or colder so much. With the blower off it just gets hotter in the area right around the stove is all.

NATE379 said:
Though... I would be surprised if there is much difference in heat output with or without the blower. I find on my Blaze King that the blower just helps to distribute the warm air, not make it hotter or colder so much. With the blower off it just gets hotter in the area right around the stove is all.

I have a zc fireplace so the blower makes a big difference getting the heat out from around the fireplace and into the room. With a whole months worth of experience under my belt now :eek:hh: I am thinking that a thermostat to control the blower coming on and off will really help with controlling the temp in the house. I will have to take a look at the store and see what I can find.

That makes sense, hope the rest of the info I put can help you out.

My 2 cents..

I have the same problem with my blower, Factory temp sensors just not working right.. Here's what i ended up living with . i bought an adjustable outdoor light timer (something you would use for christmas lighting). depending on the fire i'm building ie, take the chill off fire or an overnighter , I set the timer for anywheres from maybe 2hrs to an overnight fire of 4 hrs blower time... Bought it at Lowes a couple years ago around $10.00..plug the blower into the timer and set it and forget it..

Hope this helps

BrotherBart said:
Got four of'em. Use'em on the A/C units and the space heaters.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/777-thermostats/8790.html

My blower is hard wired in. There is no plug on it. I put a new breaker in my panel box and ran a dedicated line from that breaker in the panel to the wiring for the stove and blower so those will not work for my situation. I have power going in one side and comes out the other side and into the neutral going back to the panel.

Never mind. Carry on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.