Thermostat trouble on MT Vernon (update)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I've posted before about the trouble I'm having with my MT Vernon. I'm on my second season with this stove and it's driving me crazy. This stove has a mind of its own. First everything has been replaced on this stove and some items have been replaced 3 times. The problem I have now is the thermostat. When you go to use it most of the time it blinks then goes blank. You can't do anything with it, you have to disconnect it from the wall then put it back on. This works sometimes but most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes if I want to change the temp or shut it down I have to fight with it and sometimes it takes like 15 minutes to make a little change. I had my electrician run this wire. Last year they ran another wire and we hooked it up to the stove and we had the same problem. The other day I powered the stove down and it went out like normal, but then for no reason it goes back into startup mode. I shut it down to clean it, which i do a lot and this stove is as clean as a whistle.

I have the original baffle, because I remove it once a month and clean behind it. I have electric heat so I rely on this stove to heat my house. The place I bought the stove from have been good about replacing everything and I'm lucky they stock all the parts. There coming out to replace the thermostat for the second time. I'm not sure this is going to fix it. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Mines a non ae so no help here but there is a Quad teck on IBURNCORN.com. Goes by Kap. If no-one here can help try there he's very well informed.

If many parts have been replaced and some 2 or 3 times I would start looking at the wiring in the stove. it sounds like a bad connection somewhere, thermostat wiring from the back of the stove to control board. Also check thermostat connections at the stove and thermostat wall control and tighten as necessary. Cut the terminals ends off the thermostat wires and hard wire directly to the stoves terminal block. Quad MT Vernon AE's did have this issue on some of the stoves and there was a wire tie at thermostat wire bundle inside the stove that was too tight and pulling on the wires. Quad was saying to cut the wire tie off and lift the wires up to reduce the strain on them. I have had My issues with my very early produced 2006 AE insert but this was not one of them. Every once and a while I would get a blank screen or the _ _ _ _ _ on the thermostat and I found if was from static electricity. It usually happen just after cleaning the stove. At times when very dry, low house humidity, I was getting zapped, static electricity from the ash going into the plastic vacuum hose. I now unplug the stove both 120 and 12 volt lines when cleaning.
It' great to hear you have a good dealer, mine is useless, you have to stand in his store and hound him. He never returns phone calls. Maybe it's just me but don't think I am too much of a PITA, I just think I know more about the workings of this stove and he is intimated by it, oh well. I am just glad I can fix things my self.
If all else fails call Quad Tech 1 800 234 2508 but figure on being on hold for some time.
PS the baffle is not your thermostat issue but there is no way I can go a full month, at most 2 weeks in the dead of winter and depending on fuel type every week, with out cleaning behind it, the heat drops off too much and cleaning behind there keeps the efficiency up.

FordMastertech said:
Quad MT Vernon AE's did have this issue on some of the stoves and there was a wire tie at thermostat wire bundle inside the stove that was too tight and pulling on the wires. Quad was saying to cut the wire tie off and lift the wires up to reduce the strain on them.

I had a blank thermo a couple times, did this fix and it hasn't happened since.

Hey Guys,

I went through the stove and checked all the connections and everything looks good. My dealer told me about the wire ties and I couldn't find any. I had the tech guy double check and he said the ties were already removed. Sometimes the thermostat will just go blank on its own. The thermostat lights up then it starts to blink and then it goes dark then the light comes on then go blank. Sometimes it will do this for 15 minutes. Also, the display will show codes and I pull out the book to see what they are. When I get the codes I unplug the stove for about 5 minutes then its ok.

I thought this stove had a feature where the tech can plug it into his pc and find out the problems. I think they should replace this lemon.

Thanks for all the help.

SteveG said:
Hey Guys,

I went through the stove and checked all the connections and everything looks good. My dealer told me about the wire ties and I couldn't find any. I had the tech guy double check and he said the ties were already removed. Sometimes the thermostat will just go blank on its own. The thermostat lights up then it starts to blink and then it goes dark then the light comes on then go blank. Sometimes it will do this for 15 minutes. Also, the display will show codes and I pull out the book to see what they are. When I get the codes I unplug the stove for about 5 minutes then its ok.

I thought this stove had a feature where the tech can plug it into his pc and find out the problems. I think they should replace this lemon.

Thanks for all the help.

I had the same issues with my stove. Not just the thermostat but parts being changed multiple times. Finally my dealer replaced the stove. I would try to get your dealer to do the same!

They are replacing the thermostat for the second time this week. The next call I make to them is to replace it.

Thanks for the info

Hi,

I wanted to give everyone an update. They came out and installed the new thermostat and that didn't fix it. When they turned it on it started going crazy for them. Two guys came out and one guy suggested looking at the connectors on the back of the stove. He said he heard something about clipping them off and wiring it direct. He did that and the stove has been running with no problems (knock on wood). It took a long time to figure it out, but I'm happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.