They all laugh and laugh....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vikestand

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2014
Missurah
About how much wood I cut and split......Then comes the ice storm of the decade and all are panicking.....Except for this guy. Firewood under cover, extra ice in the deep freeze, extra beer in the cooler............

My wife thought I'd gone nutty when I started my "3 year plan" piles when we moved from the NC burbs to semi-rural NY...But then she started staying home with our first kid and suddenly the idea of a 75 degree house when it's 6 degrees outside changed her tune.

Icing on the cake was when she realized we'd used 1/10th the oil of our first winter in this place. That's cash money, fool!

It aint good, .50-.75" of freezing rain expected. It won't be 2006 over again, but that was a once in a lifetime deal.

My dad moved out there a few years ago and misses his wood stove tremendously. Especially this weekend. Hope all out there stay safe. We might get some, but not near as bad. It'll be our 5th ice event this winter. Dad will be moving back next year and we dream of cutting wood together again and fishing/hunting.
Feels good be prepared. Way to go.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thunder freezing rain.....thats a first....:eek:

yep but the 6 year plan, genny and sharp saws.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I have 9+ cords CSS. There's 9 in the woodshed and a stack beside it under a tarp. People think I'm crazy but we're warm.

The thing that burns me up is friends that ask me to sell them firewood. I offer to help them get started with firewood processing in the spring and they turn me down. The next winter they ask if they can buy some firewood. I don't sell firewood. I heat my house with it.

Maybe they should revisit Aesop's fables. Read "The Ant and the Grasshopper" twice.

I'm ready for doing disaster up here. We get all our rain in the winter and we live in the redwoods. Trees go find and there are mudslides. I don't want to depend on others if things go south.

Reactions: Rangerbait