Think im bout done with this Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I bought this VC Vigilant cheap and rebuilt it. The stove is beautiful ans seems to operate as I expected except i didnt realize i would have to clean it almost daily reaching around corners and blowing out holes. i also didnt realize that you cant just keep reloading it in cold weather when the stove top temps begin to drop there are still lots of coals still burning if i dont let them burn up thety ge so deep they cover the air ports. So I have to let it burn way dow and then shovel out a few scoops of ashes then reload and wait for it to heat up again. This doesnt seem like 24/7 heat to me. Think im gonna go back to the fisher insert with its massive firebox, all night burn (without smoldering), and weekly to bi-weekly cleanouts. VC for sale whats it worth.

FWIW, I don't remember my brother cleaning out the stove more than once a week with 24/7 burning. He always drops the wood in on burning coals. Granted, he's lazy about cleaning out ashes like me, but I never thought of this as being an overly fussy stove. Hopefully some other Vigilant owners will chime in with their experiences soon.

I have a 1977 Vigilant and I have the exact same problems. I really don't think it was designed to be run 24/7 as I also had to clean ashes almost daily.When clean it is really nice to use on the weekends just not for full time heat. I do think it is a nice looking stove. I went with a Tarm wood boiler so I now use the vigilant for backup.

I had no problem with my vigilant . I don't even know where the air ports where . We would clean it twice a week . To clean it out i would just shovel the hot coals to one side and scoop the ash . It burned OK for me . I also had a coal unit for a wial .

I have a 77' Vigilant and use it 24/7. No problems. I shovel ashes a scoop or 2 every AM but it is not necessary though. I am pretty sure the stove was running from before christmas until recently. Love the stove. Heats my whole house no prob.

sounds like you are asking that vigilant to heat too big of an area. The problems you are having are from overloading the stove. It just won't keep up with your heat needs and that's why you are getting the build-up.

You need a bigger stove.

pen

I dont clean mine out everyday and have no problems to report. It is true that you will have a deep bed of coals while reloading with stove top temps still at 400ish but thats the best time to do so imo.
Logs take right off, allow them char, top off the firebox, let her purr. This stove heats for me 24/7 during cold spells and I only clean out ashes 2 times a week. Wellbuilt, good idea with simply moving glowing coals to the side, easy ideas like that often do not happen for me!, i was just scooping hot coals when i needed to!

Bone, if you find yourself having to blow out the airports maybe you have to high a layer of sand/ash insulation on the bottom....I was informed to coat the bottom with 2" of sand however i found it to be to close to the ports so i removed an inch and have had no problems. Also when i had 2" of sand it was actually to close to the primary air tube on the left of the stove which resulted in burn problems for me early in the season....I didnt realize this "elbow" actually had a slit across the bottom for the air to feed in.

I think Pen is right about area too big or stove to small. Is the VC Defiant similar in cleanout frequency and depth from bottom of doors to bottom of firebox. looking into alt stove

Status
Not open for further replies.