Thinking about getting a boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now it's just batts in the joist bays on the basement ceiling and some of those are missing. There is nothing insulating the rim joist or the walls themselves. I have been concentrating on the attic first though. Adding more insulation there. I had an energy audit done and they guy told me about wind washing which is when the the wind will blow up into the soffit and through the batt insulation in the bays thereby reducing it's insulative properties. He said the best way to prevent that is to install a piece of fitted foam board at the end of each bay so that wind does not blow down the bay but rather up the underside of the roof as it's supposed to do for ventilation. I started this but it is going to be a massive undertaking. I'm also hitting all the airholes around the light fixtures, drywall joints etc with great stuff to airseal the attic. Don't think I have the time or money to get to the basement this year but I know it needs to be done eventually.

Here is a link that explains it
Wind washing

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat here in NH. I had a Biowin boiler installed a few weeks back but have not turned the heat on yet because it's been so warm.

Do you plan on using your PB105 for DHW year round? What kind of pellets are yuou going to be burning? I've spent a great amount of time checking on pellet pricing over the past few weeks and saw that the MWP blend pellets can be picked up for $195 per ton at certain places in Maine. I'd love to be able to get that price but I think the transportation costs of bringing it down to NH gets factored into the price I pay.

Not sure yet, it seems to be burning very little pellets just running hot water so far, would have to sit and figure out the cost vs oil for hot water

Status
Not open for further replies.