Thinking hard about a new Oslo but......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck. They retail for around $2200

yoonohoo said:
jippo said:
RSNovi said:
Oh yeah, I just paid $2800 for a blu/blk Oslo.

OK so I'll feel better knowing someone else paid just as much!

OK so if I found a new Oslo for $1,600 that would be a good deal? Waht is the MSRP?

Flat black ~ $2200

Enamel ~ $2600 - 2700

$1600 new is about 30% off the msrp for a flat black stove. It is very unusual to find such a deep discount, especially this time of year.

firefighterjake said:
It's all about the wood . . .

cantr put it much simpler than that. Un seasoned wood forget it.

Hello again...
More info on our Firelight. It's colder here in Mi. Occasionally the house will get down to around 67 degrees. It takes an hour of good burn in the 600 Firelight but by then the main floor rooms are running mid 70's. At 25-32F it's still easy to get the main room into the 80's and side rooms into the 70's, that's with the wind howling!

Our house is 1900 sq/ft poorly insulated craftsman. If this house were newer and insulated I'd have gotten an Oslo. Burn times are still excellent. An ash log will burn for 8-10 hours with good coals at the end and a stove temp of 300. Full open she's at 400-500 with exhausts in the same range. This is the year to get a stove, let the govt. subsidize you of 30% up to $1500.

The 600 takes a HUGE log through the front doors. Through the side its cleaner and smaller. If I want a "yule log" it goes through the front and I'm getting heat for 10-15 hours.

I love this stove. Its big, beautiful and hot.

cx

I purchased a OSLO F500 blue/black in Mid November for $2450. Another dealer about 20 miles further wanted $250 more and I had been warned by co-workers this guys prices were higher than most. Have been burning the OSLO now for 2 weeks and love the stove. I have 1800sq well insulated cape , 22ft masonary/flue chimney, and have no problems getting house to mid 70's in a short time. Stove burns nicely at 400-450. btw.. I replaced a Better-N-Bens that I had for 25+ years.

Stihl 310
Huskee 22ton splitter

And another blue-black Oslo user to join Shari and crew . . . in reminding me of the fact that I could have gone that route but did not do so. Congrats on the purchase NYFireman.

jippo said:
Been thinking about replacing my old #4 combifire with an Oslo. A have 4 concerns/questions that need to be addressed before I pull the pin on $2800. Firstly, I am concerned about proper drafting. I have a 2500 sq ft split entry house with the stove in the basement adjacent to the stairwell. Lots of windows in the daylight basement, well insulated house. Chimney goes straight out the basement wall. 1 45* with black double wall inside to an outside T and then up through 2 30*'s and 19' of Excel insulated before the cap, all 6 inch. With the old Jotul, with the stove cold, I usually need to crack the door near the stove at start-up for a minute until the kindling catches or else I get smoke back in the house. Other then that, I have no other back draft issues. In the middle of the winter the stove usually doesn't go cold as I keep it fired up hotter and later at night. I suspect or I'm told to believe with the Oslo with longer burn times, mornings will find the stove still warm and eliminating the problem. But I also understand newer EPA stoves are more finicky and start up may be harder when the stove is cold. Opinions please.

Blue black for $2828. I live in Alaska and expect to pay higher cost for shipping. What are current lower 48 prices?

I would be able to get a 30% tax credit, which brings it down to $1980, right? I have not looked into the biofuel tax thing. Is it a straight tax deduction?

Plus, I can then sell my very good condition #4. What's it worth?

I have read greatly varying statements about the amount of wood saved from a little bit to 50% with the new stove and would like opinions about the improvement I will see in efficiency.

Alaska, 2500 sq ft, go with the F600.

I can do little but echo what others have said - positive reinforcement maybe.

1. With dry wood (white oak and hickory), my Oslo is as close to set-and-forget as any stove I have ever used. I can tell you from personal experience that less seasoned wood requires a full time attendant.

2. Far from back draft problems, I continue to be amazed at how this stove draws. Never, ever any smoke when the loading door is open. Never. High winds, no wind, damp air, dry air, extreme cold or just a bit cool, this stove draws. Of course, I do have 26 ft. of double insulated Excel with only a single offset (two 45s).

3. I have a 2500 sq. ft. house, well insulated, plus another 2000 sq. ft. basement. We do not try to heat the basement, and I do not know how much heat I lose down there - not much, I should think. My Oslo will keep us at 70 deg. down to outside temps of about -5 f. If I had to deal with even lower temperatures I'd want a larger stove as I would have to reload every couple of hours.

4. I really, really wanted an F600. I'm glad now that good sense prevailed. With a larger stove we would have too many weeks in the spring and fall where it would simply overwhelm us.

When I took my father-in-law to replace his old woodstove, he wanted a Jotul because he liked my 550 insert so much. He was definitely between a Oslo and Firelight for his 2200' raised ranch. The dealer pointed him to the Oslo, without hesitation. He is one of the top Jotul dealers in the country, so he had both in stock. Long story short, I think the Oslo is a tried and true warhorse that is going to make customers happy. That is why there are so many Oslo owners here.

Status
Not open for further replies.