Thinking it's time to make the jump to a gasser

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thesmackdown

Jan 18, 2011
Western Wisco
I am very interested in adding a wood gasifier for my home heating but need some guidance.

I currently have two different wood burning appliances that I am using to heat our ~2500 sq ft house.
The house was build in two different stages:

Stage one was built in 1896 and has four rooms on the first floor and three rooms on the second. There are three radiators on the first floor and one radiator in the hallway of the second floor.

Stage two was built in 1919 and has two rooms on the first floor and two rooms on the second floor. No radiators (I think they had a floor furnace on the first floor as there is a large grate in the floor.

There is virtually no insulation in the house (I am midway through a re-wiring project that will remove all the knob and tube so the attic can be insulated)

How we currently heat:

There are two wood appliances and a propane fired boiler.

The "main" heat is a Monarch Add-a-Furnace. This is a 70s era steel wood burner that would have tied into a central air system. We don't have central air so it's directly below the floor grate mentioned above.

The other is a HWAM Monet stove on the first floor that does a pretty good job of heating about 800 square feet.

Propane boiler Laar-Teledyne 80s era, so likely 80% efficiency. Because I haven't run it much I have had two of the radiator lines break from freezing (there isn't a full basement).

What I am thinking I want to do:

Replace the Monarch with a gasifier and eventually add radiators or radiant floor heat to the rest of the house.

I am also lucky, I think, in that right next to that spot in the basement is a concrete cistern that is no longer used. It is about 1500 gallons.

Here is what I think I need help with:

Make recommendations on which boiler? How to design the manifolds and piping? How to make the system work today without all the radiators (water to air air handler)?

Status
Not open for further replies.