Thinking of buying from[maine wood boilers]

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie88

May 13, 2011
maine
Anybody ever delt with this place maine wood boilers http://www.mainewoodfurnaces.com/ I am thinking of buying an add on wood boiler and wonder if anyone has any thing I may need to know, Or good or bad about there units?? From what I can tell they sound ok but, never know anymore that why I ask now. Thanks

Jeff is a good guy.Those are fire box style wood boilers not gassifiers.I guess it all depends on what you would like and how much you would like to spend.

Reactions: Tennman
Jeff is a good guy.Those are fire box style wood boilers not gassifiers.I guess it all depends on what you would like and how much you would like to spend.
Was thinking of the add on wood hot water with DHW, and I have about 300gal storage, I thought even without a gasser with storage it still be better run wide open heat water up then shut off twice a day betteer than idel,[small house anyways] without a bulkhead I dont know if i can get into basement?? Oil boiler now keep for backup,only 2year old tank also. I think there unit was 4500? what bothers me is there no fire brick in these,said it a dutch-oven type dont need any? steel seem thin 3/16 and 1/4 ??

Any reason your not looking at gassers? You can get an eko 25 for less than that delivered to your door.

Check out these
http://www.newhorizonstore.com/Category/54-gasification-boilers.aspx

I bought my BMW from cozyheat. I believe the list prices include shipping. I talked to Dave and he included lift gate delivery for no extra cost. They also advertise here and usually have a code for 100 bucks off a boiler. I was nervous dealing buying site unseen but they were great to deal with. Maine wood furnaces wasn't a dealer at the time otherwise I would have bought from him since they are local

http://www.cozyheat.net/Wood-Gasification-Boilers_c_18.html

Might be worth asking Jeff if he can also sell the attack and eko's. Though I felt the extra $$ was worth paying for the BMW. Ecspecially since it has a 6" flue and I would have had to pay more for a 8" class a.

Mark at AHONA had a Biomass operating at his home. Nice unit! I would have purchased it but I needed the smallest gasser available. Eko 25 was 15000 BTUs smaller.

Was thinking of the add on wood hot water with DHW, and I have about 300gal storage, I thought even without a gasser with storage it still be better run wide open heat water up then shut off twice a day betteer than idel,[small house anyways] without a bulkhead I dont know if i can get into basement?? Oil boiler now keep for backup,only 2year old tank also. I think there unit was 4500? what bothers me is there no fire brick in these,said it a dutch-oven type dont need any? steel seem thin 3/16 and 1/4 ??
Ozzie, not being a gasser, i am not sure how quick it would be able to recover to keep the tank up temp?

Mark at AHONA had a Biomass operating at his home. Nice unit! I would have purchased it but I needed the smallest gasser available. Eko 25 was 15000 BTUs smaller.
They now have a 25 kw biomass available. The 40 would have been big enough to heat my house but I went with the 60 so that I could recharge storage at the same time I was sending heat to the house. Figured it would mean less fires with the bigger firebox.

Mark , Has pulled that biomass out and replaced it .He ran it without storage and did not like it in the end.

Ozzie, as someone who had a firebox boiler (smoke dragon) with storage......... A gassifier is well worth it. I ran my NewYorker WC130 wide open all the time, just dumping all the heat it could produce into my thick slab (same as I do now) I can tell you that I had lots of smoke no matter what, it let lots of heat up the chimney so no creosote either.
With the exact same setup as I had then, now with a gassifier, I can produce much more heat with a lot less wood, I'm going to venture close to half the wood. It's worth the $$ to go with a gasifier. What sold me on this technology was my EPA wood stove, I couldn't believe the heat it put out, you can see the smoke being burned right above the fire, and the fact that it made ZERO smoke, you'd never know I burned wood when outside. But the other chimney with the boiler connected, well there were plumes of smoke, and I ran my stack temps at 375-450 all the time. I also have very dry wood, but still lots of smoke, and we know that smoke is wasted wood gas that will not ever produce any heat for you.

TS

Mark , Has pulled that biomass out and replaced it .He ran it without storage and did not like it in the end.
I wouldn't doubt it. Probably has a Vigas in there now. He did have a buffer tank but I agree you couldn' t call it storage.

I would look into an EKO before going for an non-gasser.

If it's more then your budget will allow then just put storage off and it will keep the cost down. It wouldn't be ideal but it's an option with the EKO and then you would have the option to make it ideal later on.

At first I was really looking to try and go a frugal as I could but deiced that it was going to cost more in time/wood and I scraped every penny I had laying around and got something I hope will keep me happy for the next 20+ years. Do overs tend to be expensive.

I would shop around as well, do your home work and find what works best for you.

K

Wow, that sucker really did get dented up!

Good price though if it's all in working order and you don't mind looking at it everyday.

K

I had to send my first boiler back thanks to FedEx freight. It didn't look quite that bad though. For 2k in savings I would have lived with some dented sheet metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.