Thinking of trying a few different pellets. Stove Chow, PWI, and ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrowBean

Jun 30, 2011
Cumberland, RI
Wittus EGO stove

I got a ton from hd of stove chow for $197, im trying to figure out what other pellets at a good price around RI. Ive looked at pwi for 249 (279 delievered). Any thoughts?

I am thinking of trying 3 different tons in my first season.

any suggestions would be accepted. If you know a good pellet that i can get delivered to RI

CrowBean said:
Wittus EGO stove

I got a ton from hd of stove chow for $197, im trying to figure out what other pellets at a good price around RI. Ive looked at pwi for 249 (279 delievered). Any thoughts?

I am thinking of trying 3 different tons in my first season.

any suggestions would be accepted. If you know a good pellet that i can get delivered to RI

I'm a Rhode Islander myself and am getting my first stove installed on Sunday. I'll probably go to HD or Lowes on Saturday to get either Green Team or Stove Chow. Have never tried either but after a lot of research on this forum they both seem like a great deal for the current prices.

The local stove dealers and supply stores are selling their premium pellet for around $280 plus delivery. I'd like to know the difference in quality compared to something like a Stove Chow.

Im not sure the difference. I ended up getting 1 ton stove chow, 1 ton green supreme, .5 ton nephew, and. 5 green team

CrowBean said:
Im not sure the difference. I ended up getting 1 ton stove chow, 1 ton green supreme, .5 ton nephew, and. 5 green team

I'm sure my stove will burn anything so it's worth it to me to save a couple hundred bucks on two tons. I think I'll grab a half ton of stove chow and a half of green team and see how it goes.

I'll be borrowing my father's Silverado 1500 so it looks like I can only pick up a half ton at a time anyway.

JBiBBs5 said:
I'm sure my stove will burn anything.

Another plus to the multifuel unit when its your 1ST season and not having experiance with what's out there. Their a little more forgiving on what you feed them.

Both brands burned pretty decent in my Omega(same engine as the M55), So you should be OK. From my experiance with them you should see good heat from the GT's but slightly higher ash than the Chow. Keep your eye out for Somerset's, IMHO the best the box stores have to offer.

Do you have any pellet dealers in your area? Might want to see what they have to offer. IMHO I would rely on the box store's as my only source of fuel purchase's. Just in case see what you can find as far as a pellet dealer. Come April(if your low on fuel) the box stores will roll out the spring lawn care items and the pellets get a back seat. Could be slim picken's or only crappy brands to choose from. Just a slight word of caution tis all! :)

j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Another plus to the multifuel unit when its your 1ST season and not having experiance with what's out there. Their a little more forgiving on what you feed them.

Both brands burned pretty decent in my Omega(same engine as the M55), So you should be OK. From my experiance with them you should see good heat from the GT's but slightly higher ash than the Chow. Keep your eye out for Somerset's, IMHO the best the box stores have to offer.

Do you have any pellet dealers in your area? Might want to see what they have to offer. IMHO I would rely on the box store's as my only source of fuel purchase's. Just in case see what you can find as far as a pellet dealer. Come April(if your low on fuel) the box stores will roll out the spring lawn care items and the pellets get a back seat. Could be slim picken's or only crappy brands to choose from. Just a slight word of caution tis all! :)

I was thinking that I'd go with one or two of these brands for the shoulder season. As for the coldest months, Jan and Feb, I'd use a more expensive hardwood pellet from one of the local suppliers.

Does that sound like a good plan or do you think something like stove chow is sufficient for the coldest of winter days?

JBiBBs5 said:
j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:

I was thinking that I'd go with one or two of these brands for the shoulder season. As for the coldest months, Jan and Feb, I'd use a more expensive hardwood pellet from one of the local suppliers.

Does that sound like a good plan or do you think something like stove chow is sufficient for the coldest of winter days?

Some rely souly on what the box store have. Kind of depends on your heating requirements and what the stove can produce during the coldest part of the season with said pellet. If the pellet isn't the hottest brand and it gets really really cold out? You could be facing the cold season blues(stove on max but not producing enough heat leaving you colder than wanted!)!!! But if you never have the heat setting to the max and the stove keeps up just fine in the coldest part of the season? You could get by with most any brand.

Everyone has their own plan and as long as it works for you its a good one! Don't be afraid to tinker with some softwoods. Careful with them as they are very addicting(due to the clean burn, high heat output). I double dog dare you to try some! :cheese:

Set a price limit(per ton) for yourself and try any and all brands within your limits. Just good to know whats available locally. Try not to get stuck on just one particular brand as often times they become unavailable or out of the price range your looking at. Its good to have back up and another back up to that.

j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:
j-takeman said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Some rely souly on what the box store have. Kind of depends on your heating requirements and what the stove can produce during the coldest part of the season with said pellet. If the pellet isn't the hottest brand and it gets really really cold out? You could be facing the cold season blues(stove on max but not producing enough heat leaving you colder than wanted!)!!! But if you never have the heat setting to the max and the stove keeps up just fine in the coldest part of the season? You could get by with most any brand.

Everyone has their own plan and as long as it works for you its a good one! Don't be afraid to tinker with some softwoods. Careful with them as they are very addicting(due to the clean burn, high heat output). I double dog dare you to try some! :cheese:

Set a price limit(per ton) for yourself and try any and all brands within your limits. Just good to know whats available locally. Try not to get stuck on just one particular brand as often times they become unavailable or out of the price range your looking at. Its good to have back up and another back up to that.

I actually have forced air with an efficient gas furnace so I'll always be able to keep warm. Last winter, I added a living room to the lower level of my raised ranch. The lower level was closed off by a wall and door but I cut the wall out and put in a railing so the stairway is wide open now.

I also put two vents in the ceiling hoping that would be enough with the forced air but as we all know, heat rises. It was pretty cold down there when I finished up right around mid-March. At that point I started looking for additional heating solutions and considered electric baseboard. That's when I found out about the pellet stoves and fell in love with the idea of having one. I know that with that open staircase I can heat the whole house. I put up a hard drywall ceiling and insulated it during construction but I think the heat will make it through regardless. There are also those two vents in the ceiling which the air might travel through into the bedrooms above. If the heat doesn't move around the house like I'm hoping it will I will just run an intake duct into that room.

That's my plan.

HD is selling Stove chow for 179 a ton here . I thinking about pick up 2 ton at that price. I thought they were average when I tried them at $ 5 bag Under $4 a bag they rank a little better. I agree with the above posters. They should be fine for the shoulder season. During the colder days have a ton of hotter pellets. Refer to the pellet rankings and test on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.