Thinking so adding a stove in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they had a nice dark grey-green enamel model. Ours is cranberry red.

jotul1.jpg jotul602_gh_web.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Actually that leads to my next question, I am looking at stove bright paint, I was going to order black metallic, but I saw there was a charcoal metallic, any experiences out there with these colors

Nice. 38.5 years old!

It's a little older than my wife, but younger than my tractor

Actually that leads to my next question, I am looking at stove bright paint, I was going to order black metallic, but I saw there was a charcoal metallic, any experiences out there with these colors
I used stove bright charcoal for my 602 and I love it cause it looks exactly like bare cast iron which was the look I was going for.

There is a baffle over the inside door that needs to be removed to see the date, I'll need to do this cause I'm curious.

429fddb4440c81b85e9e5e85b33d6c0a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Wishing I had another functional chimney, since I'd love to run a 602. Cool little stoves.

Mass burner how many cans of stove bright did you use?

I need help with a hearth pad build I have some questions about a few different ideas I have for it. I want to use a wood frame with cement boards but no tile, what would be my other options to cover the cement board

I need help with a hearth pad build I have some questions about a few different ideas I have for it. I want to use a wood frame with cement boards but no tile, what would be my other options to cover the cement board

Probably best if you start your own thread under Wood Stoves forum.

Oh sorry about that brother Bart I never received the email, just a few about reply to the thread and one about confirming my account. Thank you for starting the thread for me

Mass burner how many cans of stove bright did you use?
We'll, I still have a can with a little left. And I can't imagine it taking 2 cans, so I'm saying 1 can should do it.

So I brought the stove in the house and put in in the hearth, not sure if I like the look. I am considering cutting the legs and have been reading posts on this forum all day on it.

Not worried about lower clearance it is in a basement masonry fireplace with a tile floor. I am re building the mantle and I think the stove looks to close to it. The manual calls for 19 from the rear exit to the top combustibles. I bought the stove for 180 so I am not worried about cutting the legs 2 or 3 inches..

Also there was firebrick in the inside of this 602
uploadfromtaptalk1456788157099.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1456788162918.jpg

No firebrick necessary, just a thin layer of sand I believe is recommended. Besides, you'll need all the space you can get.

Also, the legs flare out at the bottom, I'm not sure cutting them would be possible.

My father had a 602 back in the mid 70's. Great little stoves but IIRC they had a tendency to crack the side plates.

Almost done with my project... I am going to put the liner and block off plate in the fall
64a741ceba5754cb3ae692ec64849aa1.jpg

Attachments

• 5d5b052e7604cdd749b306f7d2ff290e.jpg
    5d5b052e7604cdd749b306f7d2ff290e.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, looks like the mantel needs a heat shield if it is combustible.

Side parts of the mantel look far enough away to not be an issue. It's above the stove that looks like it needs shielding.

I am below the 19" that is in the 602 manual, but I think a heat shield will help , and possibly aid in convection

See what you think. The 602 can get plenty hot on top. If you find the underside of the mantel ledge is getting too hot, a discrete plate on 1" spacers on the underside of the mantel will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.